heather

Jeanne de Galles

English - England
My French friend sent an email in which he wanted to wish his country's rugby team good luck in the forthcoming Six Nations tournament. He said 'I put a little on the heather' and I'm wondering which French phrase or saying he has tried to translate?

• Uncle Bob

British English
    Hello,
    Has he tried to translate from French? It seems an English way of saying he has put a small bet on the Scots (heather).

Uncle Bob

British English
    On se serait plutôt attendu au thistle dans ce cas, non ?
    I may be wrong but I think Scottish supporters put a sprig of heather in their buttonhole rather than a thistle (wrong time of year for thistle flowers). But that was the era before they painted their faces like Red Indians...though perhaps Scots can claim it is woad!

Enjay

English - UK
    He said 'I put a little on the heather' and I'm wondering which French phrase or saying he has tried to translate?

Is the French friend trying to say “I am wearing (am carrying, have put on) a little (sprig of) heather” - a sprig of heather being a good luck charm – in order to support / bring luck to Les Bleus …..?

It occurred to me later that, although the French friend’sfirst allegiance would be to Les Bleus, he may well support the Scottish team –if they were playing England ……!!!

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >