Heating/heated

TGW

Chinese
Why do we say 'heating pad' while we say 'heated floor' or 'heated toilet seats'? They work the same way, why we use heating/heated differently? Thanks

• ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    A heating pad is smaller than an electric blanket and can be applied to a specific part of the body — the lumbar region, for example.

A "heated floor" is heated from below and, yes, transmits that heat. For that matter, the same is true of a "heaetd toilet seat".

kentix

English - U.S.
    The purpose of a floor is to be a floor. It happens to be heatable.

The purpose of a toilet seat is to be a seat. It also happens to be heatable.

The purpose of a heating pad is not to be a pad that also just happens to be heatable. The purpose of a heating pad is to provide heat.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Why do we say 'heating pad' while we say 'heated floor'
    The present participle as an adjective indicates the indicative form of the verb - heating pad - the pad heats.
    The past participle as an adjective indicates the passive form of the verb - heated floor - the floor is heated

Ponyprof

Canadian English
    The only job of the heating pad is to heat you.

The heated floor, the car seats, the toilet seats, the towel racks, all have a primary function with the extra option of turning on the heat if you want.

But to a certain extent these word choices are conventional and not necessarily determined by hard and fast grammar rules.

I mean we have

Washing machine (laundry)
    Dish washer
    Dryer (laundry)
    And we can also say washer for laundry.

The thing you heat the room with is a heater (usually electric) if it's a standalone unit, but it's heat or heating if it's permanently installed.

At least in my Canadian English. There may well be different words for these things in BE.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    The heated floor, the car seats, the toilet seats, the towel racks, all have a primary function
    I would think that both types do
    The heated floor, the car seats, the toilet seats, the towel racks, all undergo an action: they are heated. (You then may take advantage of that action.)
    The heating pad initiates an action. (You then may take advantage of that action.)
    (Both types of items may be controllable.)

Compare "Decided motions are in this pile. The deciding motion is here in my hand." -> "Motions that have been decided [by the committee] are in this pile. The motion that decides [the issue] is here in my hand."

< Previous | Next >