heave boxes into the breach

tonguingaround

Banned
Spanish Argentina
Hola
No comprendo que quiere decir "heave enough crates and boxes—words, in a writer’s case—into the breach" en el texto de abajo.Un "breach" es una grieta, pero no entiendo lo de "heave something into the breach". Como lo traducirìan ?Thanks in advance

I explained, she was my muse; muses being not comely, playful feminine elves who sit on your shoulder suggesting better word choices and tittering when you get one right, but powerful life-and-death forces that threaten to suck you right out the bottom of your boat unless you can heave enough crates and boxes—words, in a writer’s case—into the breach. (I have not found a replacement for this force as yet, which may explain how I’ve been feeling lately and especially here today.)

• stickyfloor

English - Vancouver, Canada
    Pues para mí, "heave" quiere decir mover algo con mucho esfuerzo simplemente. La idea de que está intentando dar es la de poner todo su esfuerzo a llenar constantamente el vacío que equivale, en su caso, a su motivación. O sea, como escritor, su musa es una fuerza violenta, como, por ejemplo, un ollo negro, que le motiva a llenar este vacío con palabras, por miedo más que nada.

Como traducción, quizás: llevar desesperadamente

A ver qué dicen los demás

stickyfloor

English - Vancouver, Canada
    Sí, el "breach" es el "void." Lo que pasa es que esta frase es muy metafórica, y la metáfora es bastante rara...

SydLexia

UK English
    Normally a "breach" in this sort of context is a breach in a defensive wall - a disastrous situation that requires instant response. Breaches have to be filled with anything to hand - including yourself.

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
    Or close the wall up with our English dead!
    Henry V, según Shakespeare.

I don't think you can be a writer in English without having the first line of the above welded to your soul and I think it explains the idea behind the piece.

Without context I can only see confusion in the collocation of breaches, boats, and being sucked out, but fundamentally he seems to be talking of an 'agujero negro' that he has to 'feed'.

syd

< Previous | Next >