Heaven

• karlalou

Banned
    母国語:日本語
    Close, but not exactly.
    天(ten) is the sky. Heaven is 天国(ten-goku). Literally, a country in the sky.

810senior

Japanese
    天ten means heaven(s) for practice but it sounds rather poetic and literary. e.g. the widely-known one, にまします我らが父よten-ni mashimasu warera-ga chichi-yo quoted from the Lord's Prayer.
    Only example that is even usable in everyday's life, I found, is 天にも昇る気持ち or 天にも昇る roughly translated to feelings[thoughts] rising up to the heavens, which actually means being ecstatic or elated.

Isidore Demsky

English
    Close, but not exactly.
    天(ten) is the sky. Heaven is 天国(ten-goku). Literally, a country in the sky.
    So would a literal translation of 天(ten) be sky or heaven (as in God's throne, paradise, place of bliss)?

And is it necessary to say ten-goku (or to write 天国) if you mean heaven?

karlalou

Banned
    母国語:日本語
    So would a literal translation of 天(ten) be sky or heaven (as in God's throne, paradise, place of bliss)?

And is it necessary to say ten-goku (or to write 天国) if you mean heaven?
    I guess religious people relate 天 even alone directly with heaven, but other than that, for example, the common exclamation equivalent to "Heaven!" is "天国だ!", and "天だ!" won't be understood by anyone.

I hear the Christian phrase 天にまします~, but I've never had any idea the 天 means heaven.

The common word for the sky is 空(そら/sora), by the way, and when 天 is used like an adjective, it often means very much like 'celestial'. So, it's very close to heaven.

Last edited:

SoLaTiDoberman

Japanese
    In my humble opinion, 天国 means "the heaven", and 天 means either "the heaven" or "the god" himself/herself.
    I think that using 天 as 天国 is very common for me.

天はいつも見ている。(God)
    天に恥ずかしくない行動をせよ。(God or Heaven)
    亡き母が天から見ている。(Heaven)

I'm not a Christian.
    However, I once went to a Mission Kindergarten 50 years ago.
    So maybe I was more accustomed to 天 than ordinary Japanese people. :)

I agree with the point that 天国 is a more specific word that means "the heaven."

< Previous | Next >