heavily built chamber

• morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    Without more context, I'd say it may be either the material it is built from, or the construction itself, or even just the look of it, that makes it look heavily built.

JamesM

Not necessarily. It could also be made of heavy materials, like a concrete bunker. It could also be a short, squat building or a building with large chunky architecture.

We can't really give you an accurate answer if you can't give us more information. The term could be applied in many ways.

Kitchenwitch

Hungarian
    One of my sons saw the term somewhere, maybe in a book. He says it was in a medieval or ancient setting, so it can't be a concrete bunker. Anyhow, I was surprised to hear the phrase. I have heard about 'heavily-built people', but a 'heavily built chamber', no, this is new for me.

Myridon

English - US
    He says it was in a medieval or ancient setting, so it can't be a concrete bunker.
    The Romans had concrete buildings 2,000 years ago. A wooden building could be heavily built, as could one made of bricks or adobe (bricks of mud and straw), and many other types of construction. It just means it looks heavy, tough, strong, sturdy.

sdgraham

USA English
    From what you've told us, I consider the expression to be be meaningless, especially since you cannot provide the source.

Sorry :(

JamesM

Here is one example of the phrase for context:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masonry_oven
    Masonry ovens are generally built with fire-resistant materials like firebrick or clay, or even directly cast from refractory cement. Those designed for bread use are generally quite heavily built to store several hours' worth of heat after completely burning a load of wood, while those designed for pizza or other live-fire cooking techniques can have thinner construction.

Last edited:

Amante

English
    What came to mind for me was a chamber built for protection, such as people built in their basements during the Cold War.

< Previous | Next >