heaving

4faces

Korea
Hi all,

The place was positively heaving with hotels and B&Bs.

What does "heaving" here mean?
And as for positively, then do you say "a place is negatively heaving with something"?

Thanks in advance.

• Gwan

New Zealand, English
    It was very crowded with hotels and B&Bs. 'Heaving' in this sense is more commonly used with people, so an additional meaning could be that it was very busy and bustling with the people staying in the hotels and B&Bs.
    It has a suggestion of overcrowdedness already, I don't think you really need to make it more negative. In any case 'negatively heaving' doesn't sound at all natural.

Last edited:

bibliolept

AE, Español
    "Positively" has the same meaning that "really" would in this sentence; it serves to emphasize.

This is not a use of heaving with which I'm familiar, though the meaning is more or less obvious: it is extremely full of hotels and B&Bs. They are so densely packed that, hyperbolically, the place seems to swell or pulse with them.

Gwan

New Zealand, English
    "Positively" has the same meaning that "really" would in this sentence; it serves to emphasize.

This is not a use of heaving with which I'm familiar, though the meaning is more or less obvious: it is extremely full of hotels and B&Bs. They are so densely packed that, hyperbolically, the place seems to swell or pulse with them.
    Oops I didn't even realise that 4faces had correlated the 'postively' with its antonym 'negatively'. Good call.

mustang72

Swiss German
    I understand heaving as to lift up something. Like heaving an anchor on a boat. The hotels and B&Bs lifted the atmosphere/ambient of this place positively.

In this sense negatively heaving doesn't make sense. Negatively must go with something like lowering or falling.

ewie

English English
    I suspect this must be a typically British usage: it doesn't sound at all remarkable to me. Positively = extremely, unbelievably. Heaving with = crammed/stuffed/pulsating with; however, it's difficult to pinpoint which of Biblio's definitions [post #6] comes closest to the mental image the word creates in my head, perhaps 3a ~ think 'large bust in overtight bodice' (if you like), as in Her chest heaved as Sir Rodney moved closer.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    Oh, that Sir Rodney!

I have a hard time choosing between "rise and fall," "pull, push," and "to rise." Obviously, they're all related. As I wrote, the image is that of swelling or pulsing.

< Previous | Next >