heavy-handed

ktm

Can anyone help me to understand the meaning of "heavy-handed" in the context showed below. There are some explanations in the dictionaries which can be gathered in two groups with the meanings more or less as follows:
1. clumsy, tactless
2. too or unnecessarily forceful
But clumsy or forceful actions are easy to notice, and no special "radar system is needed" for that. That is why I suppose that the real meaning of "heavy-handed" is a bit different in this case and I am interested in the opinion of native speakers.
I'ii be grateful for the explanation.

----
However, the ability to navigate politics well is an essential ingredient to the success of any manager. It is therefore critical that you develop a politically savvy approach to be an effective leader in your organization.
When politics gets heavy-handed, you should develop a radar system that will help you avoid serious political situations that diminish your credibility, influence, and effectiveness.

• timpeac

English (England)
    Can anyone help me to understand the meaning of "heavy-handed" in the context showed below. There are some explanations in the dictionaries which can be gathered in two groups with the meanings more or less as follows:
    1. clumsy, tactless
    2. too or unnecessarily forceful
    But clumsy or forceful actions are easy to notice, and no special "radar system is needed" for that. That is why I suppose that the real meaning of "heavy-handed" is a bit different in this case and I am interested in the opinion of native speakers.
    I'ii be grateful for the explanation.

----
    However, the ability to navigate politics well is an essential ingredient to the success of any manager. It is therefore critical that you develop a politically savvy approach to be an effective leader in your organization.
    When politics gets heavy-handed, you should develop a radar system that will help you avoid serious political situations that diminish your credibility, influence, and effectiveness.
    The two definitions that you give for heavy-handed are correct - so I think that is the meaning here (although I agree that having read the sentence the meaning is not crystal clear).

< Previous | Next >