heavyweight

danielxu85

Mandarin Chinese
I think economically, many writers like to regard countries as boxers in the world areana. Could you tell me if I used the boxers of different levels correctly? Is there any other problem with the following sentences?

The U.S. is the super heavyweight in terms of total GDP, while EU could be regarded as a heavyweight. In aggregation terms, China is also a heavyweight, but in per capita term, it is a super lightweight player.

• vachecow

USA English
    The U.S. is the heavyweight in terms of total GDP, while EU could be regarded as a light heavyweight. In terms of agression, China is also a heavyweight, but in per capita terms, it is a super lightweight player.

I fixed some phrases that I thought sounded awkward, and fixed the classes....I don't think many people know the classes of boxing, but its always good to be more accurate.

vachecow

USA English
    I am sorry, I made a mistake....after posting I googled it and found that super heavyweight does exist, but apparently only in the Olympics. Use which ever one you like.

mgarizona

US - American English
    I'm not sure what vachecow means about 'aggression' but for your second sentence I'd say:

In aggregate terms, China is also a heavyweight, but in per capita comparisons, it is a super lightweight player.

JamesM

The ones I've heard most often, danielxu85, are "heavyweight", "bantamweight", and "flyweight". There are others, but I'm not a fan of boxing so I'm only reporting those I remember from other settings.

mgarizona

US - American English
    Didn't bantams come from China? (I know there's one called a Peking!)

For that reason, using 'bantamweight' could be fun.

danielxu85

Mandarin Chinese
    Ah, mgarizona! Good point! I didn't know that bantams are domestic chickens.

By the way, there's one called Peking duck, not Peking bantam.

danielxu85

Mandarin Chinese
    Thanks, mgarizona!

Am I right that the level of the boxers should go like this(from heavy to light): heavyweight, bantomweight, featherweight, flyweight? (I think this sentence is problematic)

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Thanks, mgarizona!

Am I right that the level of the boxers should go like this(from heavy to light): heavyweight, bantomweight, featherweight, flyweight? (I think this sentence is problematic)
    Daniel, Ditch this whole idea. No half-serious economist talks in such vague terms. If you've read this sort of economic writing you can be almost sure it's been the work of some intellectual lightweight. If you want to say that the GDP per head of one country is twice that of another, say that, and leave the figurative language to second-rate journalists.

< Previous | Next >