Hebrew characters in John Dee's Monas Hieroglyphica

Paulus444

English
Hi Everybody,

Could someone please look at the Hebrew characters in the attached image taken from Dr. John Dee's "Monas Hieroglyphica" (ignoring the words "litro Vinium") and tell me:

1) Is this comprehensible Hebrew?
2) If so, what does it mean?
3) If it's not Hebrew, could it be Aramaic?
4) If not, any other ideas?

Many thanks in advance and have a nice day :)

Paulus

Attachments

• GeriReshef

Hebrew
    It has no meaning in Hebrew and probably not in aramic.
    For example- the letter ך which can only appear in the end of words, appears twice in the middle.
    I will have another look later trying to guess what does it mean.

Paulus444

English
    Thank you. Sorry for the errors. Yes, it's in theorem XXII, towards the end. Does it make any better sense in the original?

The rest of the text is, as you can see, in Latin. I thought that חמיךי might be the Latin word 'chymici' or 'chemici' ('of the chemist' or 'of the alchemist') written in Hebrew characters, but the other words I cannot really make any sense of. But doesn't נמוג mean 'sublimated'?

origumi

Hebrew
    The reading of some letters in not certain, and therefore the words and sentences. Reading the letters requires knowledge of the Hebrew letters printed form in the time the text was printed - it's very similar to old Hebrew books but with some peculiarities, for example distinction between ד-ר or ה-ח-ת or ם-ס.

The words look similar to Hebrew, most of them do have meaning, and yet the text is enigmatic. I don't think it makes more sense in Aramaic, although at least one of the words, אהך, has an Aramaic meaning (I shall go) and no Hebrew meaning. This, however, is likely to be a coincidence.

If influenced by Kabbalistic concepts, the words may be acronyms or have some Kabbalah-related terminology.

< Previous | Next >