hectarages

tattikren

Portuguese - Brazil
Hi,

I am doing a thesis and there is a sentence I need to put in it which I am having difficulties to find the real meaning in Brazilian Portuguese which is: " ...nearly 10% of the corn crop along with sizeable hectarages of legume and grass forages, and small grains are harvested as silage."

anybody can help me to understand this sentence?

Thank you in advance,

Wish you all nice weekend,

best regards,

Tattikren

• envie de voyager

english-canadian
    You can replace sizeable hectarages with many hectares.

" ...nearly 10% of the corn crop along with many hectares of legume and grass forages, and small grains are harvested as silage."

A hectare is a unit used to measure land area. One hectare is ten thousand square metres (a little more than two and a half acres).

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I agree with envie.

When we talk about the amount of land measured in acres, we talk about acreage. We could say "sizable acreages of legumes and grass forages". This would mean that plots of land of many acres in size are planted with legumes and grass forages.

It's clear that hectarage has the same meaning, only the land is measured in hectares. It's unusual to use this word, however. Not even the Oxford English Dictionary has it.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Yes, you should talk about acreage even if you measure the land in hectares. In the same way, you talk about mileage even if you measure your distance in kilometres:

We want to get as much mileage out of the sponsorship as possible.
    This car gives better mileage than the other one.

Bigote Blanco

Hi,

I am doing a thesis and there is a sentence I need to put in it which I am having difficulties to find the real meaning in Brazilian Portuguese which is: " ...nearly 10% of the corn crop along with sizeable hectarages of legume and grass forages, and small grains are harvested as silage."

anybody can help me to understand this sentence?

Thank you in advance,

Wish you all nice weekend,

best regards,

Tattikren
    Lacking more context, the problem that I see is the sentence mixes two different measures:"percent" and "hectars". It might be less confusing to say: .....along with considerable/significant amouts of legume and grass forages,........

< Previous | Next >