hectic week

aha123

Mixed Asian Languages
"She had just spent a hectic week packing up her belongings."

"After a hectic day, we all meet up at night and discuss plans for the next day."

I see "hectic" is always used in the way like in the above sentences. Kind of always associated with "day", "week" and other nouns.

Can I say "I have been hectic this week at work?"?

• Logos_

English - America
    The earthquake formation is one of the hectic geological disasters that occur on the surface of earth having various parameters associated with it.
    Source: A Particle Swarm Optimization-Backpropagation (PSO-BP) Model for the Prediction of Earthquake in Japan

Would it be correct to use "hectic" this way?
    I wouldn't use either hectic or disastrous in that sentence because earthquakes are only disastrous in relation to human beings, which are not being discussed in the abstracted and seemingly very scientific context of that usage. I would say geological events or phenomena.

much_rice

English - American
    The earthquake formation is one of the hectic geological disasters that occur on the surface of earth having various parameters associated with it.
    This English seems very odd to me. You shouldn't emulate it.

"Chaotic" might be better when talking about geology. In response to the nine-year-old question above, "hectic" can modify things other than time:
    • My life has been hectic lately.
    • The New York Stock Exchange is the most hectic workplace in America—not for the faint of heart.
    • My aunt's hectic personality is the result of OCD, alcoholism, or both.

kentix

English - U.S.

The person who wrote that sentence does not have a firm grasp of English vocabulary or sentence structure. There are multiple problems with the sentence and hectic is completely wrong as a word choice.

< Previous | Next >