He'd never so much as held a vacuum cleaner

< Previous | Next >

pokl.zhou

Chinese
Hi, I encounter this in a sci-fi, and could only vaguely understand the meaning. Can anyone please rewrite the sentence in a more complete way, please?
"Quince was a salesman, but he'd never so much as held a vacuum cleaner or driven a car. What he sold was much more precious. "
I am particularly thrown off by the part I used as the title of this thread.

Thanks,

• futuromadrileño

English - USA
    The "so much as" is only for emphasis. The sentence could be rewritten as "He'd never held a vacuum cleaner," which implies that what he actually sells is probably much more advanced and perhaps rare.

Loob

English UK
    Hello, pokl.zhou - welcome to the forums!

You could 'translate' your sentence as:
    Quince was a salesman, but he'd never even held a vacuum cleaner or driven a car.

Fabulist

Banned
    American English
    Vacuum cleaners are, or used to be, one of the products stereotypically sold by door-to-door salesmen, who needed to drive automobiles to get from neighborhood to neighborhood and house to house. That Quince had never even held a vacuum cleaner or driven a car would seem to belie his status as a "salesman."

Myridon

English - US
    I think he's comparing him to both a vacuum salesman and a car salesman rather than comparing him to a vacuum salesman who drives. :)

< Previous | Next >