heedless of the famine in the 1840s when all of Ireland was under British rule

< Previous | Next >

Oswinw011

Chinese
Brexit is one reason all this has changed. The north voted against, but the biggest unionist party and England voted for. Nationalists were not the only ones to be angered by the current home secretary, who suggested using the threat of food shortages to soften up the south in the negotiations, heedless of the famine in the 1840s when all of Ireland was under British rule.(the economist)
Hi, everyone
Why the current home secretary should care about the famine in the 1840s, which was a long long time ago. Or it was the south heedless of that famine? But is haven't seen the use of heedless of like that. Thanks

Last edited:
  • entangledbank

English - South-East England
    The people who suffered from it have long memories. I have seen people in tears about it, and swearing angrily. An English minister who belittled or ignored or exploited it would not be popular among the Irish.

lingobingo

English - England
    Yes. This is about Ireland, where history very much still rankles (as it probably also does in the case of other divided islands/countries). It’s a special case.

Oswinw011

Chinese
    Oh, I got it. It has something to do with his attitude towards that history. I thought the secretary had to be responsible for that famine, which brought up my confusion at first.

< Previous | Next >