heel of the Hybrid III dummy

< Previous | Next >

rositakay

Arabic
Hi,
In implementation of Article 4(b) of Directive 96/79/EC, the Commission was to re-examine and, if appropriate, amend Appendix 7 to Annex II to that same Directive in order to take account of the assessment tests on the heel of the Hybrid III dummy, including the tests on vehicles.
What could be meant by "heel of the Hybrid III dummy"?
Source: Eurlex - EUR-Lex - 31999L0098 - EN - EUR-Lex
Thanks,

• macphie

English - Australia
    The Hybrid III dummy is a crash test dummy developed by General Motors and used by car manufacturers when testing vehicle safety features. The dummy has special sensors in various parts of the dummy's body. This is referring specifically to measurements taken during tests on the heel of the dummy. One would have to read more of the article to understand why there was a focus on this particular area of the dummy.

Myridon

English - US
    It seems unlikely that they did a lot of tests on such a minor body part of the Hybrid III dummy. I suspect it may be a translation error. "On the heel of" can mean "closely following" but it's "closely following in time (soon after)" and "closely following" (paying attention to, focusing on) would seem to fit better there.

Myridon

English - US
    I guess the EU is very concerned about damage to the heels of dead passengers.
    The idea that "tests on the heel of the dummy" could be "including tests on vehicles" still seems odd to me. ;) Perhaps I'm just entirely misreading that part.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I guess the EU is very concerned about damage to the heels of dead passengers.
    The idea that "tests on the heel of the dummy" could be "including tests on vehicles" still seems odd to me. ;) Perhaps I'm just entirely misreading that part.
    The link takes you to the crtical ( :eek: ) text that addresses your uncertainty

Annex II to Directive 96/79/EC is amended as follows:1. Item 2.9.2 of Appendix 3 shall be replaced by the following: "2.9.2. A size 11XW shoe, which meets the configuration size, sole and heel thickness specifications of the US military standard MIL-S 13192, change "P" and whose weight is 0,57 ± 0,1 kg, shall be placed and fastened on each foot of the test dummies."

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    In order for the heel injuries to be reproducibly assessed from test to test and dummy to dummy, they *must* wear standardized shoes. Obviously :) (At least in Brussels:eek: )

Andygc

British English
    Are they testing the heel of the dummy or the heel of the dummy's shoes? :)
    They are testing the whole dummy. This is a tiny fragment of the whole document. I am sure that you will find US government specifications which are equally detailed. Try the MILSPEC for ashtrays for use on the flight decks of transport aircraft (I don't have a link, but the document is obsolete now anyway. ;) )

Myridon

English - US
    They are testing the whole dummy. )
    The sentence says "tests on the heel." It seems to say that there are specific tests on the heel that include the vehicle. You can read the whole article and reconstruct what they really meant to say, but that doesn't really change what this sentence says.
    (I've heard the US Army has a recipe for chocolate-chip cookies that is over 500 pages long.)

Egmont

English - U.S.
    < Previous | Next >