Heffalump

< Previous | Next >

moodywop

Banned
Italian - Italy
After attending the Oscars Ceremony Annie Proulx criticized "conservative heffalump Academy voters".

Can anyone shed any light on this lovely word?

Thanks

Carlo

• maxiogee

Banned
    English
    Heffalump was one of the characters (an elephant) in the Winnie-the-Pooh stories of A.A. Milne, along with tigger, eyore, piglet and others

Chaska Ñawi

Canadian English
    Actually, the heffalump wasn't quite a character, because he existed only in Pooh's and Piglet's imagination .... and they weren't quite sure how to imagine him.

This lends a whole new depth of context to Annie Proulx's speech, at least if she was a fan of the books as well as the Disney version.

Chaska Ñawi

Canadian English
    That was really interesting, Charles ... I had no idea that so much had happened to Pooh et al since Disney snapped up the copyright.

I'll have to be on my toes - I guess that in this millenium, when I'm thinking about the books most other people are thinking Disney!

You little ripper!

Australian English
    Chaska Ñawi said:
    That was really interesting, Charles ... I had no idea that so much had happened to Pooh et al since Disney snapped up the copyright.

I'll have to be on my toes - I guess that in this millenium, when I'm thinking about the books most other people are thinking Disney!
    I would much rather read the book any day. I've never read Winnie the Pooh. Enid Blyton's Noddy was more my thing at the time.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    With all due respect to children's literature as cited, could
    heffalump be a play on 'half a lump', as in sugar cubes, of the plain old pre-Timothy Leary variety dropped into coffee mugs in greasy diners?

Chaska Ñawi

Canadian English
    Could be, could be.

I suspect that the Disney artists were following Timothy Leary's recipe for sugar cubes when they designed their own versions of heffalumps, however.

By the way, did you know that the rancheros in southern Oaxaca claim that Walt Disney was collecting magic mushrooms in the valleys there before Fantasia was released? A whole new field of reference for Annie Proulx!

You little ripper!

Australian English
    cuchuflete said:
    With all due respect to children's literature as cited, could
    heffalump be a play on 'half a lump', as in sugar cubes, of the plain old pre-Timothy Leary variety dropped into coffee mugs in greasy diners?
    According to the link in Wikipedia, the word "heffalump" being a child's attempt at pronouncing "elephant"). Even though it was never stated, E. H. Shepard's illustrations in A. A. Milne's original books depict heffalumps (as seen in Pooh's dreams) as looking very much like elephants.
    Who knows?

lablady

English - USA
    moodywop said:
    After attending the Oscars Ceremony Annie Proulx criticized "conservative heffalump Academy voters".
    In this case, could Annie Proulx be making a political statement?

The symbol for the Republican party is the elephant.
    Republicans are thought to be conservative in their thinking.
    Due to Pooh and Disney, "heffalumps" are thought to be a variation of elephant.
    Could she be making a comparison between the Academy voters and the Republican party?

Now, I'm curious about what she said concerning those "conservative heffalump voters." :) It looks like a search is in my future.

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    It would be awfully 'deep' to be a comment on an election which was held some years ago. I think she was speaking of the voting members of the Academy.

lablady

English - USA
    maxiogee said:
    It would be awfully 'deep' to be a comment on an election which was held some years ago. I think she was speaking of the voting members of the Academy.
    I agree, very deep. But maybe she was referring to the voting members of the Academy as if they think like Republicans.

In the US, politics finds a way into everything, and not only in election years. Even today, politics are on many people's mind due to the actions of one certain, very prominant, Republican leader. But we're getting off-topic. :D

I think I really need to find out what else she said to know for sure.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Leaving the Grand Old Party aside for a moment (a very protracted moment, if I may), perhaps we could speculate that the author of the story on which a candidate film was based was trying to say...

The Heffalumpen proletariat of the Academy moves with the deliberation and alacrity of pachydermenous quadrupeds, staying thus at the forefront of the vanguard of decades past.
    An award to a flick contrary to 1950s morality is more then they can contemplate, before first seeing that the rest of the herd has already moved decisively in that direction.

timpeac

English (England)
    I remember hearing a little girl say, quite seriously, "I can't say "elephant" I can only say "heffalump"" (pronouncing the word "elephant" in that sentence perfectly well!):)

lablady

English - USA
    Thanks Cuchu,

I knew there had to be a reason she referred to the Academy voters as elephants. The "herd mentality" aspect of pachyderms had escaped me. Had she referred to them with a "cattle" or even a "sheep" metaphor, I would have gotten it right away. But that wouldn't be as beautiful a use of language as "heffalump", would it? :)

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    You are most welcome Lablady,

Can you imagine the heffalumps' consternation at Blazing Saddles? They would be more prone to like a Cecil B. Demille
    version of Brokeback Fountain, with thousands of sheep in pink petticoats, tapdancing to "I'll never grow up" while Charleton Heston shows all 134 of his pearly whites while riding a chariot through the Ronnie Raygun memorial bone yard and small engine repair facility.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    The original EH Shephard Heffalump is a far cry from the cuddly Disney version. A true Heffalump is a nightmarish beast from the terrified imaginations of Pooh and Piglet. I have not been able to find a suitable heffalump picture for you - yet.

I was brought up with Pooh and Piglet and their chums, long before their images were corrupted by Disney.

river

U.S. English
    lablady said:
    In this case, could Annie Proulx be making a political statement?

The symbol for the Republican party is the elephant.
    Republicans are thought to be conservative in their thinking.
    Due to Pooh and Disney, "heffalumps" are thought to be a variation of elephant.
    Could she be making a comparison between the Academy voters and the Republican party?

Now, I'm curious about what she said concerning those "conservative heffalump voters." :) It looks like a search is in my future.
    I think you hit it right on nose. A heffalump, the fevered imaginings of a child's mind, is an elephant-like monster aka Republican. Or as Panj put it "a nightmarish beast from the terrified imaginations of. . ."

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    If people are unable to find the early heffalump drawings, try substituting a photo of Wm. Howard Taft (here, clic). Or imagine a seen-from-the-rear view of King Farouk on a barstool. The King

The libruls/jackasses? Why they are keydunkaphlunks, of course.

< Previous | Next >