1. FISVI New Member

Spain
    Spanish
    Hola. Estoy intentando traducir un artículo y no se muy bien como traducir la siguiente frase:
    "He had been arrested in Belgium in August 1999 and released on a hefty pledge."

"Fue arrestado en Bélgica en agosto de 1999 y liberado bajo un alto compromiso"????????

Agradezco cualquier ayuda

2. erbp Senior Member

Argentina
    Bilingual English Spanish
    Fue arrestado en Bélgica en agosto de 1999 y liberado pagando una alta/pesada fianza

3. Txiri

Txiri Senior Member

USA English
    I agree with "fianza" based on the context. But I disagree with the original use of the English word "pledge." It looks like a mistranslation there.

4. teatom

teatom Senior Member

Bogota Colombia
    German, fluent in English and Spanish
    I also think, the expression should not be 'pledge' but 'bail'. 'Hefty' I have only seen in the context of a 'hefty fine', una 'multa elevada, costosa' which would be compatible with 'fianza'.
    See ya's

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  5. FISVI New Member

Spain
    Spanish
    Muchas gracias. Lo traduceré como fianza.
    Es un artículo publicado en una página de internet que tenía que traducir y no conseguía sacarle sentido a esa frase
    Gracias de nuevo.

6. Lis48

Lis48 Senior Member

York, England
    English - British
    I disagree that Ronnie Agius was released on bail.
    He was extradited at Italy´s request from Belgium after being arrested there for cigarette smuggling. He had to make a pledge, a legally binding promise to pay back huge amounts of tax that he should have paid before he was allowed to leave the country.
    It is a tax-pledge.

7. FISVI New Member

Spain
    Spanish
    Thank you Lis48. I appretiate your response.
    I see you found the article.

8. Txiri

Txiri Senior Member

USA English
    Don't you think somehow that mentioning this in the beginning would have been part of providing a context?