Held at the correct left hand

CCHALES

France and French
Please could you tell me what does this verb mean (to hold at") in that particular context:"The can is in your left hand, the spotted silk in your right, held at the correct left hand ".

Thanks

CCHALES

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Hello cchales, and welcome.
    The can is in your left hand, the spotted silk in your right, held at the correct left hand.
    The red bit of your sentence does not make sense to me?
    Could there be something missing, or something wrong with the way you have typed it?

Sorry to suggest this when you have only just arrived, but it seems really odd.

CCHALES

France and French
    Hi Panjandrum,

Thanks for your quick reply, I'll give you the complete sentence, I hope you'd be able to help me. It's a magic act description, this expression is used twice.

"The can is in your left hand, the spotted silk in your right, held at the correct left hand, the spotted silk in your right, held at the correct diagonal end for change"

Ive checked the spelling, nothing is missing...
    Thanks again

CCHALES

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I wonder if the sentence has been edited and that some of the text that should have been deleted has accidentally been left there. Look at the duplication below in italics:
    The can is in your left hand,
    the spotted silk in your right, held at the correct left hand,
    the spotted silk in your right, held at the correct diagonal end for change
    It can't surely be right to have both of those in the same sentence?

If you leave out the red section you end up with a sentence that might make sense if you understood what "the correct diagonal end for change" meant :)

< Previous | Next >