Hello/Hi/Dear [email]

runnery

China,Chinese
Hello friends,

Hello, Hi are often used both in daily dialogue and written language. When we write an email to our customer, we often write"Hello ABC" or"Hi ABC" or "Dear xxx". I guess dear is more formal and especially respectful. Which word do you often use in an email?

Thanks.

Runnery

• Matching Mole

England, English
    E-mail seems to be a medium where formality can be dispensed with more easily than in a letter, and the appropriate forms don't seem to have been settled.

I usually put "Dear..." at the beginning if I don't know the person too well, and where a certain amount of formality seems appropriate. Another style is simply to put the name at the beginning, often with a comma or colon:

"James:

Thanks for your e-mail"

or:
    "James,

Thanks for your e-mail"

I never use "Hello" at the beginning, but that's just a matter of style. I don't see that you can go wrong with "Dear..." however, and I think that's what I would recommend if you want to maintain a respectful tone. I don't think it's excessively formal either.

runnery

China,Chinese
    Matching Mole,

Thanks for your reply. I have sent many emails to our customers with the "Hello" and "Hi". Your advice is really valuable to me, next time, I think I had better use "Dear..." or put the name at the beginning.

Runnery

< Previous | Next >