Hello, my friend

janac

English
I have a cultural question. I want to say "Hello, my friend."
This is a platonic friend of the opposite sex. I want it to be affectionate, but only in a friendly, non-romantic way.
We're both middle-aged adults. He is French and I am American.

Would "Salut, mon vieux" be appropriate?

• rolmich

french (France)
    I would rather say "salut mon vieil ami" which means that he/she has been your friend for a long time, rather than "salut mon vieux" which hints at his/her age.
    "salut cher XX" would also be OK.

Michelvar

Quasimodo
    French / France
    Hi,

"mon vieux" is correct but really old fashion, and may be considered with surprise if you are not accustomed to use it together.

"Bonjour mon ami" is certainly a better idea.

Note that the affection will be heard more from the tone than from words, so, if the tone is affectionate, any word will do.

Nawaq

français (France)
    « Coucou Jacques ! »
    this one.

"salut mon vieux" which hints at his/her age*.
    "salut cher XX" would also be OK**.
    * I don't agree with that, not that long ago, I used to hear a lot of "younger" people (I am 22, they were in highschool), saying "mon vieux" to each other, so I don't think it has anything to do with age.
    ** the "salut" + "cher" is a bit curious, isn't it?

"mon vieux" is correct but really old fashion
    .. OK, as seen by the post above, it really must be an expression for "old" people, or maybe it's regional? Is it a thing of the southwest?

balzar

English - Ireland
    .. OK, as seen by the post above, it really must be an expression for "old" people, or maybe it's regional? Is it a thing of the southwest?
    Mon vieux was used extensively when I was young (at school in the fifities)! Just a friendly greeting. Not regional as far as I know.

JiPiJou

French
    I used to hear a lot of "younger" people (I am 22, they were in highschool), saying "mon vieux" to each other, so I don't think it has anything to do with age.
    Are you sure they did not say "Salut, vieux" ? "Mon vieux" sounds very odd. But I agree it may be subjective.
    Anyway, adding anything after "Salut" or "Bonjour" seems very artificial, as what one would find in a language textbook.

Nawaq

français (France)
    Hmm. I'm sure they must have said both, same with "salut poto" VS "salut mon pote" I guess (I personally don't find this particularly artificial, but this is subjective I suppose) ... anyway, thanks for answering me.

< Previous | Next >