help/bustle/potter about the house

< Previous | Next >

Xander2024

Russian
Hello everyone,

Could a native speaker please tell me if the expressions like "to help/to bustle/to potter etc about the house" are good to use for someone who actually does not live in a house but in a flat/ apartment? Can the combination "about the house" be used irregardless of what kind of dwelling a person lives in?

Thanks in advance.

• Gavril

English, USA
    Hello everyone,

Could a native speaker please tell me if the expressions like "to help/to bustle/to potter etc about the house" are good to use for someone who actually does not live in a house but in a flat/ apartment? Can the combination "about the house" be used irregardless of what kind of dwelling a person lives in?

Thanks in advance.
    No, I wouldn't say so. If a person lives in an apartment, I would say "Help/bustle/potter about the apartment"; if the person lives in a hut, I would say, "... about the hut", and so on.

By the way, in the United States it's much more common to say "around" in this context than "about".

Xander2024

Russian
    Thanks a lot for the reply, Gavril. Yes, I'm aware of "around" being a lot more common in AE. I just thought "about / around the house" could be used in all contexts. :)

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I live in a flat and would talk about 'pottering around/about the house', if I did potter around. I mean that I do use 'house' to mean the place where I live, in much the same way as I talk about doing the housework, not 'flatwork'. The point is that the sort of accommodation isn't relevant in this context.
    Most of the people I know live in houses and people like us living in a flat is rather unusual. I don't especially want to discuss why we prefer to live in a flat or rather an apartment as we snobbishly prefer to call our elegant and pricey abode.

I don't know which preposition I prefer; they both sound fine to me but I spent many years in NYC.

Hermione

boozer

Bulgarian
    I would use 'around the house' even if I lived in a flat. I would not, however, use 'house' irrespective/regardless of where I lived. I would not normally call a tent 'a house'. I might call a castle 'a house', though. Depends on how sensible it would be to call the place 'a house'. I suppose the dwelling would need to be at least some kind of a building reminiscent of a house.

< Previous | Next >