Help make two clauses parallel <takes no account of “the relative number of job vacancies” and the rate of employee turnover>

< Previous | Next >

Roundhouse

Bengali
>>As Bishop and Burleton (2009, 9) point out, the regional unemployment rate takes no account of “the relative number of job vacancies” and the rate of employee turnover. A region with a very high rate of employee turnover will have a high number of available jobs (relative to the labour force).

The structure is like this: the regional unemployment rate takes no account of X and Y.

There is something really off/odd about the first sentence above. I believe it is the way the two clauses (in bold) are formed: they are not parallel. The first is a number while the second is a rate. I don't fully understand how to change the first part into a rate without making a conceptual error (i.e., I am not sure if it can be called the job vacancy rate), hence I decided to just quote the authors. The two different quantities make it sound odd, I think.

Please tell me if there is a way to solve this problem.

• Chez

English English
    No, the sentence is fine. The two phrases highlighted hang together properly within themselves: 1) the number of job vacancies and 2) the rate of turnover; and together make two things that the regional unemployment rate takes no account of.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    I agree. There is no problem that needs to be solved. There are two things that regional unemployment does not take account of. There is no need for those two things to be as similar as you want them to be.

< Previous | Next >