help me [to] understand

Canada - Spanish
Could someone tell me the following:

When using the verb: "to help" + another verb, what would be the correct way to say:
eg.
It helps me to understand the purpose of the sentence. or
It helps me understand the purpose of the sentence.

Another example:

It helped me live my life the right way. or
It helped me to live my life the right way.

I will appreciate your comments.

• The American Slanguage
    Could someone tell me the following:

When using the verb: "to help" + another verb, what would be the correct way to say:
    eg.
    It helps me to understand the purpose of the sentence. or
    It helps me understand the purpose of the sentence.

Another example:

It helped me live my life the right way. or
    It helped me to live my life the right way.

I will appreciate your comments.
    That's a good question. You can use either the full infinitive (with 'to') or the bare infinitive (without 'to') after the verb 'help', so both of your sentences are perfectly correct.

Regards,

Canada - Spanish
    I was still a bit confused about this so I approached a person with an English major. She said that the verb "help" needs to have the infinitive "to" + second verb.
    But, for the verb "make", you don't need the "to" eg. "you make me understand this concept"
    Thanks to all of you!!!

xqby

English (U.S.)
    I don't agree with that at all. Googling "help understand" yields a million hits, while "help to understand" yields half that. The dictionary examples have several help + [verb] usages as well.

papa majada

English/Español-U.S/P.Rico/España
    In my experience as an English teacher I've noticed that in AE you tend to see help without to and in BE you often see help with to.

Ynez

Spanish
    If you are still not clear about this, Glarita, you just need to check an English grammar book to see that both are correct.

The American Slanguage