Help with a lastname

Lestat84

Spanish-Spain
Hi! I’m trying to write a short novel and want to use a Czech lastname that is related somehow with “from the darkness” or just “darkness”. Is there any lastname already that suits in anyway what I am looking for? Thank you!!

• Onyx18

Czech
    In the Czech republic is only (typical) option "Černý" (if we speak of native citizen without foreign members of family). "Czerny" would work in another language, I'm not really sure which one.

Lestat84

Spanish-Spain
    Czerny I think is the German form. I know a czerny, composer that many pianist we suffered hahha

Janulka

Czech
    It's a funny question, I really like it:) Well, you have a typical Czech surname Navrátil meaning the one who's returned. You could also have e.g. Přežil meaning the one who's survived. But there's no mention about the darkness here. I think that Temnota (darkness) would do the job as well. But maybe you have an idea in Spanish, a specific word? It would help to find the Czech counterpart.

Janulka

Czech
    Yes, Temnoty doesn't sound Czech, it would mean either "darknesses" (in plural) or an adjective which doesn't exist in Czech. Temnota (darkness in singular) would make sense, it's perfectly Czech (though not a common surname) meaning just darkness.

bibax

Czech (Prague)
    Czerny I think is the German form. I know a Czerny, composer that many pianist we suffered hahha
    Yes, he was born in Vienna, the second biggest "Czech" city (the third is Chicago :), or rather was, 100 years ago ;)), his father was Václav Černý, but written as Wácslaw Cžerný (with digraph Cž = modern Č) in those times (18th century).
    What about "Ponurý" as gloomy?
    Temnota (darkness in singular) would make sense, it's perfectly Czech (though not a common surname) meaning just darkness.
    Ponurý (female form Ponurá), Temný (= dark, fem. Temná) and Temnota (fem. Temnotová :rolleyes:) would be a good choice, but in fact they are non-existent as last names.

In Latin, dark is āter (hence atrium, atrocitas, ...).

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >