Help with Celtic gorwedd

Margrave

English-UK
I could not find any information about the etymology of gorwedd (Welsh), growethe (Cornish), meaning lie, recline. This would probably be from gor+wedd, but I am not sure.

Please, can anybody point me to the right directions? Any advice is welcome.

• Margrave

English-UK
    @AndrasBP very interesting. I was looking for this word for another reasons not related to this post. I remember having read something about the communityof bards in an Irish book from the early 1900s (1910 I guess). But I could not find it again. If this is not too much work for you, please, could you post the source of this information about gorsedd, I meand not Wikipedia, but any book, article? I hope you have it! :) If not, no problem and thank you! :)

AndrasBP

Hungarian
    If this is not too much work for you, please, could you post the source of this information about gorsedd, I meand not Wikipedia, but any book, article? I hope you have it!
    The etymology of "gorsedd" is taken from Wiktionary. The word in my previous post is linked to that page. You may not have noticed that because after the forum upgrade, links were made to look like blue-coloured text, but they used to be underlined.:(

As for the meaning of "gorsedd", I've come across this word many times when reading about Welsh culture, both in books and on the internet.
    Here's a BBC page that tells you about it.

AndrasBP

Hungarian
    Welsh "y" is a bit tricky.
    I've scanned this from my Teach Yourself Welsh book:

Welsh pron_cr.jpg

The Wiki article says that stressed "y" is not [ʌ] as in "sun", but a "schwa" sound. A "stressed schwa" is unusual but possible to master. :)

Welsh_Sion

Welsh - Northern
    Dear Margrave,

Here you find the etymologies for 'gorwedd', 'gorsedd' and a host of other Welsh words / geiriau Cymraeg. GPC is the Welsh equivalent of the English OED.

welsh-dictionary.ac.uk/gpc/gpc.html

[Crn.
    growethe
    , Llyd. C.
    gouruez
    , Llyd. Diw.
    gourvez, en e c’hourvez
    , cf.
    ar ei orwedd
    ; dichon mai
    gor-
    +
    gwedd
    yn yr ystyr ‘ffurf’ y corff, &c., yn ymestyn dros y llawr sydd tu cefn i’r syniad]

As for 'Gorsedd of Bards of the Island of Britain)' (as opposed to Cornish, Patagonian and Irish versions), I'm happy to tell you that I a Member of same as a Linguist by Examination (Blue Robed Druid in technical language).

I hope this all helps.

Margrave

English-UK
    @Welsh_Sion thank you. Glad to know you are part of the Bards. I read a book, dated from 1911 I think, about the history of the fíle and later druid and bards. Very interesting.

Vukabular

Serbian
    I could not find any information about the etymology of gorwedd (Welsh), growethe (Cornish), meaning lie, recline. This would probably be from gor+wedd, but I am not sure.

Please, can anybody point me to the right directions? Any advice is welcome.
    gor + wedd
    gor = english-gorge (throat) = serbian-grlo (throat), spanish-gorja, vulgar latin-gurg... from grrrrrr (onomatopeia)

wedd = veda (sanskrit) wrong translated as knowledge. If you use serbian key for understanding word "veda" it will be "telling a story"
    VEDAti = speaking (arhaic serbian)
    ispoVEDAti = confess
    pripoVEDAti = telling a story

Serbian and sanskrit have about 50% same words. There is sebian-welsh dictionary with 4000 same or similar words...

AndrasBP

Hungarian
    gor + wedd
    gor = english-gorge (throat) = serbian-grlo (throat), spanish-gorja, vulgar latin-gurg... from grrrrrr (onomatopeia)

wedd = veda (sanskrit) wrong translated as knowledge. If you use serbian key for understanding word "veda" it will be "telling a story"
    Would you mind explaining to us how this relates to the meaning "lie down"? o_O :rolleyes:

Vukabular

Serbian
    It's hard to explain the connection between "lie" and "lie down" but there is and ill try to explain next time and there is connection with "lay, lie and oil" :)

Gorsedd = throne
    Gor + sedd
    Gor = gore (up) Serbian
    Sedd = sed, sedeti (to sit) Serbian

I have different approach to etymology so here is etymology of "glass", "ice", "cold", "eyes"... forget Pokorny :)
    The theory is based on the assumption that most words in European languages were created by the evolution of two consonants by the later addition of vowels and consonants. Here is one of many examples I have, the words are written in Serbian language and "*" stands for archaic verse, pay attention to the pronunciation and spelling of the words as well as the meaning and mutual association. LD> LeD (ice)> *LaD, hLaD (shade)> *LaDno, hLaDno (coLD)> LeDina (big ice, LanD)> pogLeD (sight [association ice> eyes])> izgLeD (look)> gLeDati (to watch) ... LeD (ice) is coLD and shine as goLD. Below I will leave "G" in front of "L", in Russian language the eyes are said "GLaza" and I will list some of the English words that associate on ice and contain GL: GLass, GLaze, GLamour, GaLantery, GLacier, GLossy ... here are some Serbian words: GLatko (smooth) GLeđ (glaze) , GLečer (glacier) ,oGLeDalo (mirror) , GLačati (to polish [Polish> PoLanD> land where was glacier in the ice age]). For the end I have left the Serbian word "staklo" (glass) and it means that it used to be liquid, "teklo" is past tense of "tok" (flow) and now it has been hardened ("steglo") , so we also have the word "tegla" (jar) ...

< Previous | Next >