Help with Celtic gorwedd

Margrave

English-UK
I could not find any information about the etymology of gorwedd (Welsh), growethe (Cornish), meaning lie, recline. This would probably be from gor+wedd, but I am not sure.

Please, can anybody point me to the right directions? Any advice is welcome.

• Margrave

English-UK
    @AndrasBP very interesting. I was looking for this word for another reasons not related to this post. I remember having read something about the communityof bards in an Irish book from the early 1900s (1910 I guess). But I could not find it again. If this is not too much work for you, please, could you post the source of this information about gorsedd, I meand not Wikipedia, but any book, article? I hope you have it! :) If not, no problem and thank you! :)

AndrasBP

Hungarian
    If this is not too much work for you, please, could you post the source of this information about gorsedd, I meand not Wikipedia, but any book, article? I hope you have it!
    The etymology of "gorsedd" is taken from Wiktionary. The word in my previous post is linked to that page. You may not have noticed that because after the forum upgrade, links were made to look like blue-coloured text, but they used to be underlined.:(

As for the meaning of "gorsedd", I've come across this word many times when reading about Welsh culture, both in books and on the internet.
    Here's a BBC page that tells you about it.

AndrasBP

Hungarian
    Welsh "y" is a bit tricky.
    I've scanned this from my Teach Yourself Welsh book:

Welsh pron_cr.jpg

The Wiki article says that stressed "y" is not [ʌ] as in "sun", but a "schwa" sound. A "stressed schwa" is unusual but possible to master. :)

Welsh_Sion

Welsh - Northern
    Dear Margrave,

Here you find the etymologies for 'gorwedd', 'gorsedd' and a host of other Welsh words / geiriau Cymraeg. GPC is the Welsh equivalent of the English OED.

welsh-dictionary.ac.uk/gpc/gpc.html

[Crn.
    growethe
    , Llyd. C.
    gouruez
    , Llyd. Diw.
    gourvez, en e c’hourvez
    , cf.
    ar ei orwedd
    ; dichon mai
    gor-
    +
    gwedd
    yn yr ystyr ‘ffurf’ y corff, &c., yn ymestyn dros y llawr sydd tu cefn i’r syniad]

As for 'Gorsedd of Bards of the Island of Britain)' (as opposed to Cornish, Patagonian and Irish versions), I'm happy to tell you that I a Member of same as a Linguist by Examination (Blue Robed Druid in technical language).

I hope this all helps.

< Previous | Next >