Help yourself to anything in the fridge.

m1517luther

Korean
Is there any common expressions other than saying "please feel free to eat or drink anything in the fridge"?
Would it be any difference if they were good friends or not so close visitors?

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    To friends, or to the babysitter or home help, "Just help yourself to anything from the fridge". (Though personally I would only give the run of my well-stocked fridge to close friends.) It's casual.

Your own suggestion sounds fine for anyone who may be considered an honoured guest.

Did you have any particular context in mind?

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    "Help yourself to anything in the fridge." It doesn't matter how well you know them, but if you are going to charge people for the contents of the fridge, you should say so.

Crossposted.

m1517luther

Korean
    Culturally, is it more common for the host to take out his juices, milk and beers from the fridge, put in on the table and say, "Please help yourself"?, rather than let the guests to help themselves to anything in the fridge?

tunaafi

English - British (Southern England)
    I would not normally offer the contents of my fridge to people who were simply with me for a few hours. I would offer them a drink and fetch it myself from the fridge. If the guest were staying for one or more night, I might say "Just help yourself to anything from the fridge".

Last edited:

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    Culturally, is it more common for the host to take out his juices, milk and beers from the fridge, put in on the table and say, "Please help yourself"?, rather than let the guests to help themselves to anything in the fridge?
    It is extremely UNcommon to tell guests to get their own refreshments from the refrigerator. A host serves refreshments to his or her guests who are visiting. The only reason to tell someone to use what is in the refrigerator at will is if the homeowner is not going to be present -- which suggests the person is either a babysitter, or an overnight (or more) visitor.

< Previous | Next >