helped to make her

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
— I don't think I've ever seen her quite so happy as she is right now. And I have to be happy for her, Matt, and I am. I feel happy for her. And proud of the fact that we helped to make her.
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, film

Does the boldfaced part make sense to you?:confused:
Thank you.

• heypresto

English - England
    :thumbsup: Or, if she has become famous or successful at something, it could mean that they helped achieve that fame or success.

But we need some more context to know for sure.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    One question.

It's a mother talking about her daughter. She's saying she's always been happy but never as happy as now, when she's met and fallen in love with a guy.

Do I correctly understand the implication is that "we helped [that guy] to make her [happy]"?

Myridon

English - US
    One question.

It's a mother talking about her daughter. She's saying she's always been happy but never as happy as now, when she's met and fallen in love with a guy.

Do I correctly understand the implication is that "we helped [that guy] to make her [happy]"?
    They just met the guy. When do you suppose they helped him? o_O

Myridon

English - US
    Ah. The problem is "help."
    There are three cooks in the kitchen. One puts the broth in the pot, one puts the noodles in the pot, one puts the meat and vegetables in the pot. They helped make the soup. None of them made the soup, but each of them helped.
    The parents helped make her (with help from other relatives, teachers, etc and possibly her natural dispositions).

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Ah so, "her" is the real object of the verb, just like "the soup", there's no implied complement:

They helped make the soup.

The parents helped make her.

Just like the cooks made the soup, the parents (and others) made her.

Do I correctly understand?

Loob

English UK
    But it does seem Myridon's version is different from the others.
    I don't think it is really, Vic. Myridon's analogy was about people helping to make soup. The idea here is that of people helping to make someone - to make that person's character.

Myridon

English - US
    But it does seem Myridon's version is different from the others.
    The other answers added extra words for the purpose of pointing out the assumed meaning that was already there as if I had said "They helped make the soup the soup that it is." instead of just "They helped make the soup."

< Previous | Next >