Helping verb omission

< Previous | Next >

Tam60me

Arabic
In a nonnative English speaking radio channel, a personality announces at fixed times that "This news bulletin brought to you by XYZ." (XYZ being the sponsor)

Grammatically speaking, is he allowed to omit the helping verb from his sentence? I am aware this style is used in written English sometimes, but is it the same case in spoken English as well?

• owlman5

English-US
    That announcement isn't a sentence without some form of "be" like "is" or "was", Tam60me. It is merely a phrase. I assume that whoever wrote that line for the announcer thought listeners would not miss the verb. I would.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    It sounds a bit like a spoken version of a newspaper headline, in which words are quite commonly omitted like this. It isn't grammatically correct but I daresay the sponsor/announcer thinks that the majority of listeners aren't going to be bothered by it.

MilkyBarKid

British English
    You will hear this all the time on TV. "Wednesday night drama on Sky 1, brought to you by Viking River Cruises."
    It is a shortened version of what I used to hear on radio: "Here is the 3 o'clock news break, brought to you by Dalrymple Motors, your friendly Ford dealer."

roxcyn

USA
    American English [AmE]
    I concur with the other members. I hear it all the time with series, example: The Big Bang Theory, brought to you by... (sponsor). It is something common on TV and radio.

Smauler

British English
    I guess the cynical amongst us could claim that the advertisers/sponsors have deliberately removed the sentence structure to attempt to get people to automatically associate their brand with what it is attached to.

But they would never use such nefarious tactics, would they.

< Previous | Next >