her entitled conviction that the object could give it

< Previous | Next >

SuprunP

Ukrainian & Russian
Even more fundamentally, however, what ignites the relentlessness of the patient’s pursuit is the fact that the object is separate from her, outside the sphere of her omnipotence, and unable therefore to be either possessed or controlled (Winnicott, 1960). In truth, it is this very immutability of the object—the fact that the object cannot be forced to change—that provides the propulsive fuel for the patient’s relentless pursuit. Even in the face of incontrovertible evidence to the contrary, the object of her desire will be pursued with a vengeance, the intensity of this pursuit a result of her entitled conviction that the object could give it (were the object but willing), should give it (because that is her due), and would give it (were she but able to get it right).
(How People Change; The Therapeutic Use of Optimal Stress, M. Stark)

Would you be so kind as to tell me what 'it' refers to in this paragraph, if anything?

Thanks.

• The Newt

English - US
    "It" is probably meant in the author's mind to refer to something like "satisfaction," but I think it's just sloppy writing.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I have added a verb - it is not necessary but makes reading easier:

There is no context to indicate that the patient is mentally unstable, but I will assume that she is.

Even in the face of incontrovertible evidence to the contrary, the object of her desire will be pursued with a vengeance, the intensity of this pursuit is a result of her entitled conviction that the object could give it (were the object but willing), should give it (because that is her due), and would give it (were she but able to get it right).

Unfortunately, the "it" does not have a referent in this extract. The "it" is probably mentioned earlier: it seems to be "some previously described power or ability."

< Previous | Next >