Her headlights scored piercing darts of light

jacdac

Lebanese
Nikki slammed on the brakes, reversed the car at speed into a farm track, then whipped it back onto the road. ‘On my way, sir.’
<…>
Her headlights scored piercing darts of light across the lonely fen, and in minutes, she was screaming back down the dual-carriageway towards Greenborough.
Source: Shadow over the Fens by Joy Ellis
Context: It is night time. Detective Sergeant Nikki receives a shout (call-out for an emergency service) from the superintendent of Greenborough police station.

I can not get my head around the lexical cluster in bold. Darts of light are beams of might, right? . These beams are piercing as they cut through the darkness of the night, right? What about scoring? Scouring darts of light would mean jerkingly moving darts of light, right? I am not sure about this.

Thank you.

• Tazzler

American English
    Hello.

I take it as a figurative use of the word in this meaning:

To cut a notch or a groove in a surface.

So the beams of light are being described as if they were cutting the surrounding landscape.

I hope I helped.

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    I can not get my head around the lexical cluster in bold. Darts of light are beams of might, right? . These beams are piercing as they cut through the darkness of the night, right?
    For what it's worth, "scored" is a past-tense verb in this sentence and "piercing" is an adjective.

Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    See "score" in the dictionary at the top of this page, definition #15: "to cut shallow ridges or lines in something".

< Previous | Next >