Her knowledge in this field was acquired through...

stcopy

Chinese
"Her knowledge in this field was acquired through his extensive experience in art, from her diligent self-study and through coursework."

Is it normal to use "through... from... through..."?
<< Actually, I just want to emphasize that she gained knowledge through his experience in art.>>
However, if I write it like "Her knowledge in this field was acquired through her experience in art", it sounds like that her knowledge was acquired from her experience in art exclusively, which is not the true as coursework and self-study are also important source of her knowledge. Thus, how to express this in a better way?

<<Restored original post. See new version in post #4.
Please do not edit a post after someone has responded to it. Post your corrected version in a new post. >>

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Loob

English UK
    I'm a bit confused by your use of "his" and "her", stcopy!

But both "Her knowledge in this field was acquired through..." and "Her knowledge in this field was acquired from..." work for me - though I'd probably prefer the second:).

stcopy

Chinese
    Thank you for the both replies.
    But I do not think I express my question very clearly.
    If I write the original one like "Her knowledge in this field was acquired through her experience in art" without "from her diligent self-study and through coursework" at the end,
    it sounds like her experience in art is the only source of her knowledge in this field, which is not the true as coursework and self-study are also important sources of her knowledge.
    I want to emphaszie her experience in art ove the other two (coursework and self-study). Thus, what is the better way to express this?

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    "Her knowledge in this field was acquired through her experience in art, as well as from her diligent self-study and through coursework."

"Her knowledge in this field was acquired through her experience in art, and also from her diligent self-study and through coursework."

stcopy

Chinese
    RM1(SS), thank you for your help.
    Do "X as well as Y" mean to emphasize X over Y? Same for "and also"?

mimibuda

Chinese
    Does "X as well as Y" mean to emphasize X over Y? Same for "and also"?

Guess not. They are of equal importance I think, in this way.
    You can say '...mainly through...., and also through...' if you ask me.

stcopy

Chinese
    Can I say "Her knowledge in this field was acquired through her experience in art besides her diligent self-study and coursework"?

< Previous | Next >