Her or she

Alchan112

Chinese
There are 3 people in her family. They are her parents and ______(she/her).

Which is correct or both are OK?

• owlman5

English-US
    If this is a test question, the test makers probably want you to use "she". Many people would use "her" after "they are", but "she" is the subject pronoun.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Hello, Alchan112. Welcome to the forum.

I have a question for owlman5. Yes, "she" is the standard subject pronoun. But the sentence's subject is "They". So why should the "she/her" at the end use a subject pronoun? I'm not disagreeing. I'm just trying to understand the grammar rules.

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    I wonder when we'll all stop kowtowing to these unidentified test-setters who, we suppose, live in 1898 and say things like "it is she". I've never said that phrase in my life, and would only write it if it were followed by "who...", not in the OP's case. Especially when the test-setter uses "3" instead of "three"!

Alchan, both are possible. She is very formal and not used in speech.

Loob

English UK
    I agree with Keith's comments about test-setters.

More: I don't think there's any good answer to that question:mad:.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    We would say 'her' or 'herself'. The question is, as others have said, not teaching you real English by giving you that choice of two.

owlman5

English-US
    Hello, Alchan112. Welcome to the forum.

I have a question for owlman5. Yes, "she" is the standard subject pronoun. But the sentence's subject is "They". So why should the "she/her" at the end use a subject pronoun? I'm not disagreeing. I'm just trying to understand the grammar rules.
    I don't know what rules the test wants. I sometimes hear people use subject pronouns even after phrases like "This is ___". In answering the phone, some speakers insist that "This is she" or "This is he" is preferable to "This is her" or "This is him." I don't agree with speakers who believe this, but I've heard the argument before.:rolleyes:

< Previous | Next >