her prize psychological possession

< Previous | Next >

Alex Coseff

Czech
Hello,

I'm not sure if I understand correctly the collocation in bold. Could it possibly refer to the fact that it was a classic example of what Wanda believed was her possession, i.e. that she had a significant position/standing in the village but it was only what she assumed..(the others might think the very opposite) ?
Thanks a lot.

G.M.Malliet: Wicked autumn
"Wanda's sense of her place in the village was her prize psychological possession."

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    A prize possession is that possession that you like and value the most. Wanda may have other possessions in other categories but "her [sense of her place [status] in the village] was her prize psychological possession."

Wanda relies on psychology to get her own way and retain her power or, at least, what she sees as her power.

The question is "Is Wanda's power real or does it exist only in her own mind?" She believes she has a high position in the hierarchy of the village, and this belief powers her personality and interactions.

Does that help?

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Hello,

I'm not sure if I understand correctly the collocation in bold. Could it possibly refer to the fact that it was a classic example of what Wanda believed was her possession, i.e. that she had a significant position/standing in the village but it was only what she assumed..(the others might think the very opposite) ?
    Thanks a lot.

G.M.Malliet: Wicked autumn
    "Wanda's sense of her place in the village was her prize psychological possession."
    You make an interesting point, Alex.

I don't believe you can go as far as you suggest, from this sentence alone.

In itself I'd take it to mean that it was psychologically important to Wanda to think of herself as someone who had a particular place in the village. It's likely, but not made explicit, that that place is of some status, and, in particular, that she felt she was respected.

I say this because confidence of that respect must surely be what makes this a psychological possession - she gets comfort and assurance (psychological qualities) from it - and she prizes the comfort and assurance that it brings.

It may be that you can draw all sorts of other inferences from the wider context in the book, but you asked us about this sentence, and I don't think we can go further than this on the evidence of the sentence alone.

Alex Coseff

Czech
    Hello Thomas,

many thanks. Yes, you're right, perhaps I am influenced by all those deductions and inferences I've drawn throughout the whole book. Your explanations (and PaulQ's are just perfect and I appreciate them all:)
    True enough, Wanda believes she is cat's whiskers, so to speak... no one holds a candle to her...,however, this is only something what she assumes. In fact, she is very bossy, patronizing.. whatever negative you might think of. As a result, she is murdered.
    The collocation I asked about just struck me as untypical, esp. because of the unique combination of words.
    Thanks again:)

< Previous | Next >