Her room was the only gay, modern one in the house

< Previous | Next >

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(page 33, Chapter Three) by DH Lawrence (planetebook,here):
(background: Connie invited Michaelis to livingroom, where there were some fine German reproductions of Renoir and Cézanne……)

Her room was the only gay, modern one in the house, the only spot in Wragby where her personality was at all revealed. Clifford had never seen it, and she asked very few people up.

Modern reminds me of modernists, who were pessimistic about the society of that time. So I guess gay here refers to the bright color of the paintings, rather than happy mood.

How should I understand this sentence please?
Thank you in advance

• Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    "Modern" is used in its literal meaning there, and the presence of those paintings is a separate issue. Her room was the only cheerful one and the only one with modern furnishings and decor in the house.

Modern reminds me of modernists,
    I think you mean "Modern makes me think of Modernists".

Oddmania

French
    Hi,

I wouldn't have read that much into it. I understand "gay" and "modern" pretty literally: cheerful and contemporary.

Cross-posted.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Modern reminds me of modernists, who were pessimistic about the society of that time.
    Seems like you're confusing "modern" with "modernist", and "modernism", in turn, with "expressionism" (part of which it is though).

"Modern" here just means "new and intended to be different from traditional styles".

x-posted

< Previous | Next >