Her/She [as film title]

• ewie

English English
    Hullo LS. Well, it might be to distinguish it from the well-established She:
    (Source ~ guesswho)

Little Star

Persian
    Thanks for your help. But grammatically they are different. To me it is always a possessive adj.
    So in translation it's bizarre to put a subjective pronoun instead, no?

Qualityservant

English-USA
    I believe "Her" in this case is being used as an object pronoun because it sounds more catchy and dramatic. Names of films, movies, books, etc. often violate the rules of grammar to provoke an image or interest about what is presented.

mplsray

Hello,
    I'm wondering why the title of this film is Her and not She?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Her_(film)

It is translated as she in other languages in Wikipedia; that's why I'm confused whether there is a point behind it or not.

Have a great time,
    Setareh
    The film title "Her" is easily explained as being a disjunctive use of the pronoun, and thus not at all ungrammatical, since disjunctive pronouns in English take the same form as the objective pronoun.

Addition:

It occurred to me that I have a grammar book which discusses the matter, and which I have not previously seen quoted on the subject in this forum. From page 123 of English Grammar for Students of French: The Study Guide for Those Learning French, Jacqueline Morton, The Olivia and Hill Press, 2009:

IN ENGLISH
    English disjunctive pronouns have the same form as object pronouns....

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >