herald/usher in/prefigure/predetermine

< Previous | Next >

apoziopeza

slovak
Hi,

Please advise, which of the underlined fits best in the context below?

Thanks,

A.

Source: Legal Opinion

Such stipulation of the Constitution could herald/usher in/prefigure/predetermine that protection of water would not be part of it.

• heypresto

English - England
    None of them sound right to me.

But then I don't fully understand the whole sentence. What 'stipulation'? What does 'it' refer to in ' . . . would not be part of it'?

apoziopeza

slovak
    None of them sound right to me.

But then I don't fully understand the whole sentence. What 'stipulation'? What does 'it' refer to in ' . . . would not be part of it'?
    Such provision of the Constitution could herald/usher in/prefigure/predetermine/make an impression that the Constitution does not aim at ensuring protection of water (but it does).

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    I was about to say: I think that only "predetermine" works, for two reasons.
    1. Stipulations in a constitution are very powerful articles; they are far stronger than heralds or ushers who are merely messengers.
    2. The verb at the end of the sentence ("...that protection of water would not be part of it") indicates a will, a intention. This too fits with predetermination better than the alternatives.
    However, since reading #3, I now agree with HeyPresto. The verb you need is suggest.

heypresto

English - England
    I think either ' . . . could give the impression that . . . ', or more simply, ' . . . could suggest that . . . ', would work. The other words don't work, in my opinion.

Crossed with Keith Bradford - with whom I agree when he agrees with me.

apoziopeza

slovak
    I think either ' . . . could give the impression that . . . ', or more simply, ' . . . could suggest that . . . ', would work. The other words don't work, in my opinion.

Crossed with Keith Bradford - with whom I agree when he agrees with me.
    :) Thanks

< Previous | Next >