here a rueful, all-girls-together shrug

Alex Coseff

Czech
Hello,

I'm trying trying to work out the meaning of the phrase in bold. I guess the meaning is that of "I don't know", however, why all-girls-together?
I guess it might be idiomatic...since there are no other characters than the two ladies.Would you be so kind and paraphrase the phrase for me?
Thanks a lot:)
Background information:
Wanda (a bossy, patronizing lady) visits Elka Garth; apart from other topics they discuss, Wanda speaks (in the following context) about Elka' s son Clayton (a bit slow, troublesome boy, still living with his mother at the age of 33). Wanda pretends to be polite but only on the surface (she is ironic most of the time).

G.M. Malliet: Wicked autumn
Wanda: "I have always thought of him a most handsome lad. It takes some of them time." Here a rueful, all-girls-together shrug. Don't I just know it!:
Elka: "Clayton will be there," Elka replied, smiling the smile of a womean whose jaw has been wired shut. "And on time."

• I gather the author believes there's a kind of 'group' shrug one sees in 'girls' (women). All the women, in such an instance, presumably agreeing on something (perhaps that it can't be helped), shrug together*. "Rueful" has the sense of a bit of sorrow over the matter.

Should "Don't I just know it!" be in quotation marks?

**ADDED: It's unclear if both women in the scene do shrug at the same time. It's possible that Wanda is merely giving the *kind* of shrug that usually shared, but here is expected to be shared.

Last edited:

Alex Coseff

Czech
    Thank you:)
    Yes, "Don't I just know it!" is in quotation marks, sorry.
    Could I have one more question, though?
    Does the phrase "Don't I just know it!" mean "Of course, I know/everyone knows..." (that such things cannot be helped)?
    Thanks a lot in advance.

< Previous | Next >