Here and There:

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
Dear Teachers,
Namaskar.

Merriam Webster labels the words "here" and "there" as nouns (as well as adjectives) also, though other dictionaries, including Oxford dictionaries, don't. Oxford labels them as adverbs and exclamations only. The examples MW gives of the words as nouns have the preposition "from" preceding the words in question.

These are the MW examples of "here" and "there" used as nouns:
1. You take it from here/there.
2.Get out from here.

Please enlighten me on the grammatical functions of these words.

Thank you very much.

Last edited:
  • entangledbank

English - South-East England
    That's not a good reason to call them nouns. The authoritative and up-to-date CGEL (Cambridge Grammar) calls them prepositions, not adverbs. 'From' occurs with a wide range of prepositions, both without complement:

from outside, from below, from home, from abroad

and with complement:

from outside the window, from under the bed, from across the street, from between the bars

Even with the old tradition of calling the intransitive prepositions adverbs, 'from' occurs with many of them and there's no need to call them nouns.

Last edited:

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Thanks a ton, PaulQ. Didn't you mean adverbially (as adverbs) instead?
    You will see that I have deleted my original response which was too specific - I have widened it:

I'm going to disagree with CGEL (Cambridge Grammar). They are “adverbial modifiers”

Here = in this place -> [with indication] “You will find the coffee here” -> “You will find the coffee in/within/inside this place.”
    There = in that place -> [with indication] “You will find the coffee here” -> “You will find the coffee in/within/inside that place.”

However the implied preposition is variable and dependent upon context.

“Where is the station?”
    “There.” -> [with indication] -> at that place

However, they can also act pronomially to describes a specific/indicated place.
    Here = this place
    There = that place

Take the boxes from here. = Take the boxes from this place.

When acting thus, they cannot be qualified adjectivally nor be the subject of a sentence but they require a referent and may be the subject of a preposition.

“Take those boxes from here (this indicated place).” / “Get out of/from there! (that indicated place)”

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Preposition phrases are used as modifiers in verb phrases, which is why they come under the traditional label 'adverbial' (a term the CGEL doesn't use). Whether the preposition has a complement or stands alone, the phrase is doing the same sort of thing in all of these:

Put it here.
    Put it down.
    Put it outside.
    Put it outside the door.
    Put it in the garden.

Not having the book by me, I can't repeat their arguments, but basically all the 'adverbial' phrases above are doing the same thing, so are headed by the same word class. Contrast with an actual adverb, which has a different role:

Put it down carefully.

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    Thank you very much, Bfg, Eb and Paul.

So, Eb, you don't agree with Merriam Webster, which labels "here" and "there" as nouns in the examples in the OP?

< Previous | Next >