Here And There

< Previous | Next >

namlan

Banned
Vietnam
-We've known each other for 2 months. We flirt a little here and there but nothing serious.

- What does "flirt a little here and there" mean here? I really don't understand the phrase "here and there"? Does it have a figurative meaning here?

Thanks a lot!

NamLan

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    -We've known each other for 2 months. We flirt a little here and there but nothing serious.

- What does "flirt a little here and there" mean here? I really don't understand the phrase "here and there"? Does it have a figurative meaning here?

Thanks a lot!

NamLan
    "here and there" means just what it says. You flirt a little at work, you flirt a little when you run into each other at a friend's house, you flirt a little when you run into each other in the grocery store. "Here" and "there".

Grop

français
    "here and there" means just what it says.
    Hello, I don't agree it litterally means here and there. This is an idiomatic phrase, the sort that non-natives have to learn before using (learning the two words "here" and "there" is not enough).

(I even suspect it is more a question of time - like "from time to time"or occasionnally - than a question of places as the words "here" and "there" suggest).

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Hello, I don't agree it litterally means here and there. This is an idiomatic phrase, the sort that non-natives have to learn before using (learning the two words "here" and "there" is not enough).

(I even suspect it is more a question of time - like "from time to time"or occasionnally - than a question of places as the words "here" and "there" suggest).
    Doesn't "from time to time" mean "here and there" in this context? The easiest way to understand the concept is to think of the physical "here and there". In order to flirt with one another, it must be done in a location, face to face. This would be done "here" and "there" (as well as "from time to time"). To me, the "here and there" in Namlan's sentence stresses the different places, not the different times.

"We flirt a little here and there" makes me think of coffee break at the office or whatever. It doesn't make me think of "time", per se.

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Indeed: neither time nor places matter, only occasions. This is why you don't need to know where "there" is.
    Well, you can't have a "when" without a "where".:)

It seems to me that the author of the sentence would have stressed the time aspect of this fliration if the emphasis was on the time. To say that the flirtation takes place "here and there" is a deliberate pointing-to of the intention to locate the flirtation, not to indicate the frequency.

< Previous | Next >