here I charge you in this sign.

< Previous | Next >

Rodolphe Dux

French - Paris
Hello Folks.

I'm French and I'm doing a translation (openly & freely) of subtitles.

And I'm struggling with a sentence, I can't get what it means. The context is a sorcerer invoking a goddess in a ritual :

"- Of the mother darksome and divine here I charge you in this sign."

What does it mean, especially "charge you in this sign" ?

Thanks !

R.

Last edited:
  • The Newt

English - US
    It's not clear what the beginning of the sentence means, but "I charge" probably means "I command" and "in this sign" may mean "by the power of this sign / symbol."

Rodolphe Dux

French - Paris
    It's not clear what the beginning of the sentence means, but "I charge" probably means "I command" and "in this sign" may mean "by the power of this sign / symbol."
    Thanks. I'm sorry about the \N symbol it's just a symbol for subtitles coding, therefore I removed it, because it's not relevant. So I'm still struggling with the meaning of the sentence :)

Rodolphe Dux

French - Paris
    I don't blame you for struggling with this. I think we all are.:rolleyes:

Could sign have something to do with one of the astrological signs of the Zodiac, do you think?
    Thanks for the reply. That's a great idea ! I will think about that. In the exact scene, there is a lady, a priestess, drawing a sign in the air. I added a snapshot of the scene as attachment.

I can barely see what it means, but can't figure what "charge" means.

Thank you !

Attachments

suzi br

English / England
    Think of charge as "command" or "call" or "summon" (it is definition 6 in our dictionary - so not unheard of, just not very common!).

wandle

English - British
    To see the meaning, I think we need to reverse the order of the two lines.

'Here I charge you in the sign/ Of the mother darksome and divine.'

This 'sign' might be a gesture performed by the sorcerer, or some symbol held up.

So it is like saying, 'I command you in the name of the King'.

Rodolphe Dux

French - Paris
    To see the meaning, I think we need to reverse the order of the two lines.

'Here I charge you in the sign/ Of the mother darksome and divine.'

This 'sign' might be a gesture performed by the sorcerer, or some symbol held up.

So it is like saying, 'I command you in the name of the King'.
    You're right, thank you, it is said with a gesture from the sorcerer. I'll go with that solution. Thanks very much folks, that was a confusing scene.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    The "in" is the same in as "I order you, in the name of God, to stop what you are doing!"

< Previous | Next >