here is and there is

hhtt

Turkish
Here is a daily paper. Is this sentence short form of "Here there is a daily paper? what is the difference between the
sentences "Here is a daily paper" and "There is a daily paper." ?

• Elwintee

England English
    This question is difficult to answer without more context. It seems to be a stand-alone sentence invented for the purpose of differenting between the use of 'here' and 'there'. Others may be able to answer you directly, but could you provide more context? Are you pointing at a daily paper, offering it to someone, or what?

hhtt

Turkish
    This question is difficult to answer without more context. It seems to be a stand-alone sentence invented for the purpose of differenting between the use of 'here' and 'there'. Others may be able to answer you directly, but could you provide more context? Are you pointing at a daily paper, offering it to someone, or what?
    Yes, it is used while offering the paper somebody but when I was a child I was playing a computer game. In the game when the soldier found the a map it is written on the screen that " here is a map of tunnel system". But in that game nobody was offering the map to the soldier. Is it enough context now?

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Here is a daily paper. Is this sentence short form of "Here there is a daily paper?
    No. In that sentence the here and the there are different parts of grammar.
    What is the difference between the sentences "Here is a daily paper" and "There is a daily paper." ?
    You use here when the paper is close to you or you are holding it.
    You use there when the paper is further from you (beyond your reach.)

hhtt

Turkish
    No. In that sentence the here and the there are different parts of grammar.You use here when the paper is close to you or you are holding it.
    You use there when the paper is further from you (beyond your reach.)
    Thank you Paul. Then here there is a Daily paper is a wrong sentence isn't it?

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    No.

You are confusing "there" -> in that direction, e.g.
    A: "Where is the daily paper?"
    B: "It is there - on the table."

with "there" -> as a dummy subject to a sentence -> "There are many daily newspapers that are printed in London." and "There are lions in Africa!"

A: "I live in the small town of Alanya but here (= at this place near to me) there (dummy subject) is a daily newspaper."

hhtt

Turkish
    No.

You are confusing "there" -> in that direction, e.g.
    A: "Where is the daily paper?"
    B: "It is there - on the table."

with "there" -> as a dummy subject to a sentence -> "There are many daily newspapers that are printed in London." and "There are lions in Africa!"

A: "I live in the small town of Alanya but here (= at this place near to me) there (dummy subject) is a daily newspaper."
    Your examples are excellent but I am asking if something is very close to us can we combine here and there like in this sentence "here there is Daily paper" if Daily paper is on the table and if we near the table?

Last edited:

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Well... yes you can... but it is a strange and formal construction that is only used in certain, rare contexts.

(i) A: "What is on the TV tonight?
    B: "I don't know. Oh... wait... here, there is a daily paper, that will tell us." Any normal person would say, "There is a daily paper here, that will tell us."

(ii) where someone is specifically and formally pointing out a series of important objects.

Imagine an historian speaking to you as you go around Hagia Sofia:
    H: "... Here, there is a silver cross and [the historian moves towards something else] here, there are the bones of St. Basil."

When written, it must have a comma: "Here, there is a daily paper" = In this place close to me, there is a daily paper. And I repeat, normally, you would say, "There is a daily paper here."

< Previous | Next >