Here she was, sure as life, coming in for her share of the lowness and dirt

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(page 390, chapter 17) by DH Lawrence (planetebook,here):
(background: Connie received a letter from Clifford, saying Mellors' wife Bertha returned to his cottage and gossiped a lot ..…)

This was a nasty blow to Connie. Here she was, sure as life, coming in for her share of the lowness and dirt. She felt angry with him for not having got clear of a Bertha Coutts: nay, for ever having married her. Perhaps he had a certain hankering after lowness. Connie remembered the last night she had spent with him, and shivered.

I know as sure as life derives from as sure as death(meaning as sure as death is surely to come), come in for means is subject to, but how should I understand share of the lowness and dirt please?
Thank you in advance

• Hermione Golightly

British English
    This refers to the extremely unpleasant goings-on between Mellors and his wife. 'Lowness' has a sense of shameful and also lower class. 'Dirt' is fairly obvious I would think.
    'To come in for' just means being involved unwillingly, of course.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I read it as 'she was receiving her share of all this gossip about activities involving "lowness and dirt"'. She herself was on the receiving end of some of the nasty talk.

longxianchen

chinese
    Oh. And I think in the quotation, the was coming in for is present continuous tense, rather than future tense. Am I right?

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Yes, I think it means "she was already coming in for..."

Connie is upset because her name has been linked with Mellors' in this distasteful business. People are already gossipping about it.

< Previous | Next >