"Here they come again"

valdur

English
Hey guys,

I was hoping to get a recommendation on a good for translation for the phrase "here they come again"

Context: You're with a friend, and a group of your other friends are seen approaching you from down the street, they were with you both earlier.
"Oh, here they come again."

Or like the beginning of Mad Max when he sees the group of bandits approaching him.
"Here they come again."

Thanks!

• ireney

Modistra
    Greek Greece Mod of Greek, CC and CD
    Hi,
    I'd say something like "να 'τοι πάλι". Or, if you want to emphasize the "coming" part of the sentence, perhaps a simple " (να 'τοι) ξανάρχονται".

valdur

English
    Hi,
    I'd say something like "να 'τοι πάλι". Or, if you want to emphasize the "coming" part of the sentence, perhaps a simple " (να 'τοι) ξανάρχονται".
    Hello! Thank you for your response.
    A Greek friend of mine said she might say να 'τους πάλι is there any reason it would be in the accusative instead of nominative case?

ireney

Modistra
    Greek Greece Mod of Greek, CC and CD
    Hi!
    While it's a valid alternative, I can't for the life of me give you a good reason for the accusative. Maybe it's just a case of "me and John are going to the game" kind of thing; theoretically incorrect but perfectly fine idiomatic use of the language.

valdur

English
    Hi!
    While it's a valid alternative, I can't for the life of me give you a good reason for the accusative. Maybe it's just a case of "me and John are going to the game" kind of thing; theoretically incorrect but perfectly fine idiomatic use of the language.
    Thanks that’s very helpful !

Αγγελος

Greek
    If you think of νά as meaning "behold!"(cf. also French 'voici', originally "see here!" ), the accusative can perhaps be explained.
    The fact is that we only say "νά ο Γιάννης!" (nominative), but "νά τον!" (accusative) at least as often as "νά τος!". Αlso, the enclitic nominative forms τος/τοι are only used in νά τος / νά τοι and in πού 'ν' τος (= πού είναι τος; = where is he?)/ πού 'ν' τοι;

< Previous | Next >