'Here' to introduce someone [Here is Ann]

Radioh

Vietnamese
Hi. Please let me know if you ever use 'here is/are' when introducing someone. For example, you introduce someone new to your friends, "Here is Ann, my new friend."(Ann is standing very close to you and you are opening your hand towards her.)
Thank you.
R.

• perpend

Banned
    American English
    It doesn't sound wrong, but it does seem a little off.

Let's say you are sitting with your friends, and Ann walks over to your group, then it sounds normal: Here is Ann ...

But if you are all in a group sitting together, I'd say: This is Ann ...

perpend

Banned
    American English
    Yes, it's not a formal introduction but it does function as a way to make her known to the group, which is "introduction-adjacent". ;)

The tone is of course overall informal.

Radioh

Vietnamese
    Thank you, perpend and Biffo.
    It doesn't sound wrong, but it does seem a little off.

Let's say you are sitting with your friends, and Ann walks over to your group, then it sounds normal: Here is Ann ...

But if you are all in a group sitting together, I'd say: This is Ann ...
    Great! This is exactly what I was looking for ! :D I know it's off-topic, but if she walks past us, is it OK to say 'There is Ann' ?
    R.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I think you're still on topic, so I will comment.

You can say, 'Ah, there's Ann!' if you are talking to someone else, with Ann possibly within earshot. (And then I might add, to include her, 'Hullo Ann!')

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I agree with natkretep. Yes, radioh, if she is walking by in the area, then "There is Ann ..." becomes idiomatic.

Truffula

English - USA
    I think "Here is" can also be found as an introduction when one is introducing a new performer in a show. "And now, here's Ann" sounds like what the host might say to introduce a performer in a variety show. A speaker in a graduation ceremony might be introduced with "Here is our valedictorian, Ann Friendly."

< Previous | Next >