hereditary burden/encumbrance or what? [medicine]

< Previous | Next >

boozer

Bulgarian
Hello, friends,

I am doing this translation - a very tough medical text that I barely understand in my language. I simply had to take it against my own free will, so to speak. :) None too fond of medicine.

Anyway, it is about someone who is said to be 'hereditarily burdened', meaning that there is a disease that was passed on to him by his mother. The disease runs in the family. But I do not remember ever reading any such thing in English, I mean saying that someone is 'hereditarily burdened/encumbered' because their parents had a disease that they passed on to them.

Any ideas how I can express it in English without sounding weird?

• George French

English - UK
    "Hereditary burden" is a euphemism.

GF..

And this one doesn't really work....

He/she has a hereditary disease .

boozer

Bulgarian
    I think 'hereditary affliction' might work, Vik.

George, thank you for your suggestion, but using it would mean substantially deviating from the original.

boozer

Bulgarian
    Thinks, JS. The thing is, I inadvertently rephrased Vik's hereditarily afflicted. I need to say that theerson is 'hereditarily afflicted'. Quite frankly, I have no problem with 'hereditary affliction', but 'hereditarily afflicted' sounds a bit contrived to me, like a back-formation, and this is the only reason why I still have not embraced it unconditionally :D

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    "Hereditarily burdened" doesn't necessarily mean that one has a hereditary disease or affliction. It could refer to a hereditary weakness of some sort, or a gene known to predispose to the possibility of disease (such as a gene for breast cancer), or the likelihood of (a man's) eventually becoming bald, or simply a characteristic such as being markedly shorter or taller than average.

Loob

English UK
    Boozer, could you not use Julian's suggestion and say that the person "has a genetic disorder" or "has an inherited disorder"?

ewie

English English
    Boozer, could you not use Julian's suggestion and say that the person "has a genetic disorder" or "has an inherited disorder"?
    :thumbsup: Surely you're at least allowed to change parts of speech between Bulgarian and English, Mr B ... ?

Wild horses couldn't get me to write hereditarily afflicted. And I reckon I'd need serious facial surgery before I could actually say it.

boozer

Bulgarian
    :thumbsup:

Wild horses couldn't get me to write hereditarily afflicted. And I reckon I'd need serious facial surgery before I could actually say it.
    There you go.... I love this man. :D :D :D Every time he says something like this I spend the rest of the day laughing for no obvious reason, like a retard. But, then, again, I am beginning to put up with the inevitability of being regarded as one by sizeable pockets of the local population. :D

Thank you all, people! I am beginning to understand why I have not yet encountered the phrase I was looking for - maybe it simply does not exist. Yes, Ewie, I will have to change parts of speech lest the English-speaking doctor reading my translation should think the translator was hereditarily afflicted with some mental disorder. :)

< Previous | Next >