Hermosura

a123

English, Australia
Can hermosura be used to describe a person, or is it just used when describing an object? It says the meaning is 'beauty'. Someone wrote to me starting with 'Hola hermosura'. Thanks.

• Yerok

English (United States)
    As far as I know, "Una bella" is the most common way to call someone a beauty. La bella y la bestia is the name for The Beauty and the Beast, but who knows how reliable that is.

fsabroso

Perú / Castellano
    Hi a123:

Of course we use "hermosura" to describe a beautiful woman. Ir is a very common word. The way we use it is "ella es una hermosura"

chiqui50

Spanish/Spain
    You can use "hermosura" to describe anything that is beautiful. A wonderful view, "un paisaje de gran hermosura". A beautiful lady, "una mujer de gran hermosura".

Hella

Spanish - Spain
    As far as I know, "Una bella" is the most common way to call someone a beauty. La bella y la bestia is the name for The Beauty and the Beast, but who knows how reliable that is.
    Bella is rarely used as a noun (apart from the Disney film!). It is more usual to find it as an adjective: una mujer bella. Qué bella eres. In your example, I would say "una belleza".

By the way, yeah, hermosura can be used for people too. "Hola, hermosura" is a very friendly expression.

chiqui50

Spanish/Spain
    I would not say that "hermosura" is an informal term. It is a great Spanish word to discribe abundance of beauty.

Emiliana de Lunares

English-American
    Hola, foreros.

¿Así que la respuesta a la pregunta de a123 es que sí se puede usar para también hablar de objetos? Por ejemplo, ¿le puedo a decir a un amigo que tiene un carro lindo?: ¡Qué hermosura! (It's a beauty!)

< Previous | Next >