He's so clever as not to breaking the law.

Angelya

Chinese
Hi, everybody! I wanna know if the sentence "He's so clever as not to breaking the law." is right or not. If so, I guess "so...as to" is the same as "so...that". Is that so?

• Angelya

Chinese
    No, not really. the sentence is quite awkward.

He is clever enough not to break the law.
    Hi, boozer! You're so kind to give me your quick reply, but I found a similar sentence in an English article and I just made small changes to it. I just replaced the subject, so I think it very likely to be true though I'm not sure about it.

boozer

Bulgarian
    Hi, boozer! You're so kind to give me your quick reply, but I found a similar sentence in an English article and I just made small changes to it. I just replaced the subject, so I think it very likely to be true though I'm not sure about it.
    Hi, Angelie. Whatever you have done seems to have been more than enough to spoil the sentence :) Or maybe the sentence was bad even before you touched it, I wouldn't know. However, I promise you that the sentence
    "He's so clever as not to breaking the law."
    is ungrammatical.

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    You might possibly say
    "He's so clever as not to break the law."

One could also say
    "He's not so stupid as to break the law."

But boozer's suggestion in #2 is much better.
    "He is clever enough not to break the law.":thumbsup:

owlman5

English-US
    You're so kind to give me your quick reply, but I found a similar sentence in an English article and I just made small changes to it. I just replaced the subject, so I think it very likely to be true though I'm not sure about it.
    I can believe that you saw something like He's so clever as to not* breaking the law. If you did, it should mean He's very clever about not breaking the law. Or: He's very clever when it comes to not breaking the law.

That sentence suggests to me that he is a shifty character who is good at doing ethically questionable things without actually breaking any laws. He is good at staying within the letter of the law while disregarding the intent behind it.

*A slight mistake in the word order of as to not results in a mess rather than an intelligible sentence.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >