he's the super

< Previous | Next >

VD15

french - france
Hi,

I've been watching Law and Order - Special Victims Unit. It was about a couple who kidnapped girls (teenagers). They kept them in a basement. The guy had sex with them so that they got pregnant. If the baby was a boy, they'd abandon him. The cops identified the wife who took them to the basement but the husband wasn't there. When a cop asked her where he was, she said: "I don't know. He's the super". What does that mean?

Thank you for your help!

• sound shift

English - England
    If this series is British (I don't watch it, so I don't know), "super" could mean "superintendent" (a rank in the police force) - if that fits the context. Who is the "he" in "He's the super"? Is the woman looking or pointing at a police officer when she says these words? Is it possible that she is in effect saying "I don't know where my husband is, but he [the person the woman is looking at or pointing at] should know, because he is the superintendent"?

VD15

french - france
    If this series is British (I don't watch it, so I don't know), "super" could mean "superintendent" (a rank in the police force) - if that fits the context. Who is the "he" in "He's the super"? Is the woman looking or pointung at a police officer when she says these words?
    It's an american show. The woman is talking about her husband. Her husband is the super. Kidnapping the girls and abandonning the baby boys was oviously his idea. Does she mean that in the couple, he is the boss?

Packard

USA, English
    I read this as "he is the superintendent of the building" and his responsibilities allow and require that he have access to all areas of the building. He could be repairing the plumbing in an apartment, dealing with the oil burner in the facilities room, or be painting the trim on the outside of the building. He could have run to the hardware store to buy supplies. In effect it means that he could be anywhere and she would not know where.

VD15

french - france
    I read this as "he is the superintendent of the building" and his responsibilities allow and require that he have access to all areas of the building. He could be repairing the plumbing in an apartment, dealing with the oil burner in the facilities room, or be painting the trim on the outside of the building. He could have run to the hardware store to buy supplies. In effect it means that he could be anywhere and she would not know where.

Oh, right!!! I get it! Thanks to all of you! Have a nice day! :)

< Previous | Next >