He's totally dialing up on the muffins

Jektor

English (UK)
Can a street-wise US member tell me exactly what this means:
"he's totally dialing up on the muffins...
urbandictionary.com - dialing up

He's ordering a lot of muffins...?
He's eating a lot of muffins... ?
He has a good supply of muffins...?
He going big on muffins...?

• suzi br

English / England
    Have you seen it anywhere other than in the urban “dictionary”?
    Taking a quick look at the so-called trending words over there today makes me think plenty of people entertain themselves by making stuff up on that site.

Unless you’re looking up something you have found in a real context you can ignore the stuff that litters that site. It’s either nonsense or the “meanings” are specific to small social groups, far from mainstream standard English. That is not much use to you unless you mix with other people who share that sociolect.

Jektor

English (UK)
    Thanks. I was going to include a reference to it in an answer over on the German forum, but I will leave it out - it will only cause confusion.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I agree with suzi br. Most phrases I see in "urban dictionary" are phrases I've never heard used.

The slang word "totally" became popular in the 1990s (on TV) as a word that valley girls use (a "valley girl" is a rich female teen-ager who lives in one suburb of Los Angeles: the San Fernando Valley). It just means "definitely" or "completely". Most Americans can figure out what "totally" means, without an explanation of the slang. It just looks odd. For example, "He is totally rich" means "He is very rich", and "She is totally a skank." means "She is definitely a nasty person."

"Dialing up" means "ordering products by phone" in this expression. "Dialing" means entering numbers in a phone to make a phone call. So if we phone a specific store, we say "I dialed up the bakery."

Last edited:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Sometimes Urban Dictionary is useful, but when an entry has attracted only one :thumbsup: of approval it's probably worthless.

< Previous | Next >