hh:mm a

• Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    Hello Andrew1980. Let's have the full context and background to this.

Please do your best to explain where you've seen this abbreviation used, and what it's about. Please provide us with a (sourced) sample sentence too.

Liam Lew's

With permission from Beryl, moderator, I will now re-post a more detailed answer to the question, even though the original poster hasn't yet provided the requested information.

The "a" is an am/pm marker.

This interesting link provides more information: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/text/SimpleDateFormat.html

Here a brief summary of the relevant information:

"hh:mm a" is a string used in Java for date-time formatting. It, as well as other strings, is used to modify/format standard time in a local-sensitive manner. The "hh" in this particular string stands for the hour, the mm for the minute and the parameter "a" changes the hour part from the 24-hour clock to the 12-hour clock and adds an "am" or a "pm"
    Some way down the page I've linked you find a table which contains all the parameters used to format the time/date, including the "a".

Even further down you find a table that contains examples of how a particular string is interpreted and converts the standard time into the desired format.
    For instance, if the date and time were 2001-07-04 12:08:56 local time in the Pacific Time zone, the "hh:mm a" would convert it into "12:08 PM".

Last edited:

Andrew1980

The "hh" in this particular string stands for the hour, the mm for the month and the parameter "a" changes the hour part from the 24-hour clock to the 12-hour clock and adds an "am" or a "pm"
    "12:08 PM".
    Thank you so much, Does mm means month? I thought minutes,

Thank you a lot for your help it is great. I could not provide enough context as I was given a small table with terms to revise translation into Russian and noticed that this designation was left in Russian "as is". If I could attach files here I would have given the context and I did not myself what context was as the text was mainly medical (questionnaires). Thank you

Liam Lew's

Thank you so much, Does mm means month? I thought minutes,

Thank you a lot for your help it is great. I could not provide enough context as I was given a small table with terms to revise translation into Russian and noticed that this designation was left in Russian "as is". If I could attach files here I would have given the context and I did not myself what context was as the text was mainly medical (questionnaires). Thank you
    Yes, you are right. I've edited my post. The "mm" stands for minute.

< Previous | Next >