Hi everyone, I ve still got some sentences to be corrected !

camille23

france
Do you mind ?

By the way, Zeb ...I like your way of thinking.

Which one is the right one between : full of life or lots of life ?

I won t keep u any longer: Should I use it only over the phone or also face to face ?

I leave you know ... Is it the right thing to say to someone if I must go?

I won t bother and disturb you anymore.. May I use both ?

Im with a customer ..if it takes time to me to give him some help.. May I say ? I will get there ( i know that there are more than one meaning but I don t know if I can use I ll get there either) By the way, can you give more one meanings ?)

Except me or for me ?

What s the difference between sleepy and asleep ?

Take 3 kilos out of your bag or take out 3 kilos of your bag ?

"Put a name to a face or put a face to a name " I think the first one is right but Im not sure !

I don t understand what you are saying ? ...Is it right ? does it make
sense ?

Mother instinct ? ...How does it sound ?

When there is a match for instance : Harmouth against or over Harvard ?

You can say : How old are u ? may i use What s your age ? and whats his age ? is it right too ?

Finally , the last one : You have already given me an answer but I still didn t get it so it s about the difference between go back and come back :

EXample :

ME: FRANCE X: New Zealand
X is calling me from NZ. I m telling him I went back to FRance or I came back to France 6 months ago ?

ME: PAris X : Normandy

X is calling me from Normandy . Should I say Im going back or Im coming back to Normandy in a few days ?

I haven t practised my English for 7 months now. I don t want to forget what I learnt. If you know what I mean ? THat s why I might be a bit too much !!!!

Thank you again,

Camille.

• Sev

France, french.
    camille23 said:
    What s the difference between sleepy and asleep ?
    Asleep = you already sleep
    Sleepy = ready to fall asleep. Btw if you look in the dictionnary in "English monolingual", you'll find answers to some of your questions... :)

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    My answers...I hope they help.

camille23 said:
    Do you mind ?

By the way, Zeb ...I like your way of thinking.

Which one is the right one between : full of life or lots of life ? Depends on what you're trying to say.

I won t keep u any longer: Should I use it only over the phone or also face to face ? You can use it face to face.

I leave you know [I think you meant "I leave you now"]... Is it the right thing to say to someone if I must go? No. I have to go now. I gotta go. I need to go. I'll let you go now. I'm gonna leave now. Gotta run.

I won t bother and disturb you anymore.. May I use both ? Yes. But I'd say "or" instead of "and."

Im with a customer ..if it takes time to me to give him some help.. May I say ? I will get there ( i know that there are more than one meaning but I don t know if I can use I ll get there either) By the way, can you give more one meanings ?) That sounds kind of blunt - not to mention incomplete. I'll be there in a minute. Could you wait a little bit, please? I'll be right with you. I'll be with you in a minute.

Except me or for me ? Do you mean "except me" or "except for me"? If so - both are acceptable.

What s the difference between sleepy and asleep ? I'm sleepy = I'm tired; I want to sleep. I'm asleep = I am sleeping.

Take 3 kilos out of your bag or take out 3 kilos of your bag ? Take three kilos out of your bag. "Out of" goes together in this case.

"Put a name to a face or put a face to a name " I think the first one is right but Im not sure ! Both are acceptable. See post #5.

I don t understand what you are saying ? ...Is it right ? does it make
    sense ? Yes.

Mother instinct ? ...How does it sound ? I've never heard it before.

When there is a match for instance : Harmouth against or over Harvard ? against

You can say : How old are u ? may i use What s your age ? and whats his age ? is it right too ? You could, but it sounds odd. "How old are you" is much more common.

Finally , the last one : You have already given me an answer but I still didn t get it so it s about the difference between go back and come back : go back - movement away from you; come back - movement toward you

EXample :

ME: FRANCE X: New Zealand
    X is calling me from NZ. I m telling him I went back to FRance or I came back to France 6 months ago ? came

ME: PAris X : Normandy

X is calling me from Normandy . Should I say Im going back or Im coming back to Normandy in a few days ? Both are acceptable in this case, with slightly different nuances. "going" emphasizes that you're moving away from Paris and going to Normandy. "coming" emphasizes that you are moving toward Normandy.

I haven t practised my English for 7 months now. I don t want to forget what I learnt. If you know what I mean ? THat s why I might be a bit too much !!!! Not at all. It's a pleasure to help you.

Thank you again,

Camille.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Adding to a couple of these:

The name and face pair are both very common.

Put a name to a face... - OK, means you have seen that face around and now you have been introduced to this person and you know the name.
    Normally used in this kind of statement:
    "Ah, I'm glad to meet you at last. I've often seen you (in the office, on the bus....wherever). It's good to be able to put a name to the face."

Put a face to a name... - OK, means that you have heard of this person, perhaps spoken to them on the phone; now you have met the person and have seen their face for the first time.
    Normally used as:
    "Ah, I'm glad to meet you at last. We've often spoken on the phone. It's good to put a face to the name."

Mother instinct - motherly instinct - ... there is another expression that is lurking at the back of my mind but I just can't find it at the moment - sorry.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    panjandrum said:
    Adding to a couple of these:

The name and face pair are both very common.

Put a name to a face... - OK, means you have seen that face around and now you have been introduced to this person and you know the name.
    Normally used in this kind of statement:
    "Ah, I'm glad to meet you at last. I've often seen you (in the office, on the bus....wherever). It's good to be able to put a name to the face."

Put a face to a name... - OK, means that you have heard of this person, perhaps spoken to them on the phone; now you have met the person and have seen their face for the first time.
    Normally used as:
    "Ah, I'm glad to meet you at last. We've often spoken on the phone. It's good to put a face to the name."

Mother instinct - motherly instinct - ... there is another expression that is lurking at the back of my mind but I just can't find it at the moment - sorry.
    You're absolutely right about the face/name thing. I don't know what I was thinking. I will edit my post.

< Previous | Next >